SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
guyhamilton

Yellowing Agave Americana

guyhamilton
9 years ago

Hi,

Firstly I am a new member - so hello to you all. I live in the southern UK in Chichester and have a large but poorly Agave Americana (see pictures below) that has up to a few weeks ago appeared very healthy (no yellowing).

I have brought him inside for the winter months and noticed his soil wasn�t draining very well and there are a number of woodlice present. So I drilled 15 or so 10mm drainage holes in the bottom of the pot to improve drainage whilst I waited for spring to repot him with new soil. The unintended consequence is that I have damaged the root system when making the holes and I think I have local root rot (I have been kicking myself). The plant began to yellow its leaves (predominantly the bottom ones) and the photo below is about 2 weeks after making the holes. The yellowing has slowed recently. The soil all though much less water logged is still not draining as well as it needs to.

What I would like some advice on is where I should go from here. I though of the following options;

1. Remove my Agave from his pot, wash off the soil, tend to the localised root rot (I am not sure how to stem this). Allow to recover. Repot him and his offspring in new cactus soil in new pots. Water after a week (or longer/shorter) to prevent repotting root rot.

2. Leave the Agave to recover and stop all water. Repot him in spring.

3. Any other options / advice?

Thanks

Guy

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville