SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

Bugs 12!

meyermike_1micha
9 years ago

Here we go again..lol Don't forget to look at the thread before this one, I wrote alot folks.ha

I can't wait to see this one filled with many great thngs and wonderful surprises amoun great friends!)

Evan, miss you. Evan, hope you are well these days at that your plants have started to recover from that aweful frost buddy.

Maggy, Tracy, Cory, Brian, Steve and anyone new if you should decide to join, hugs!

MIke

Comments (150)

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Brian,
    how are yah!!? How;s that Fig tree? Mines budded out and wants to give me fruit!! Little fruits!
    Thank goodness the ones in the shed are fully still asleep at the 40's in there..I even have carnivorous plants in there.
    Funny, I went to bed last night at 900 too..lol I think you and I are long lost brothers..We have so much in common!
    Do you like Tropical Fruits such as Coconut, Papaya and Pineapple? How about roasted crickets and grasshoppers? Or, Scorpion? Or Rattle snake, dear, and wild beats of buffalo balls? I like all these foods lol
    I also hanged an ornament on my fig tree just for a laugh..But I can handle sloppy Joe with no issues..ha
    I am so glad it turned out ok for your Dad..Sheesh..
    It seems that my hand is much better. Not as red thank goodness..
    Yes, I would love to sit in your yard and have a drink and shoot the crap with everyone here..That is an option))
    Have a restful night my buddy)

Maggy,
    hello..

Ok, you busted my surprise Maggy..I actually started a cutting for you, a Kaffir for you)). It's been growing real well and bushy!! I'll take a pic for you soon my friend..I am glad you got to get fresh fruit...Wow.
    Lolol, you and your husband need to join the gym together, one that has a hot tub and sauna..lolYou guys need to keep moving or you will turn into the tin man..lol
    Oh man, you got three Kikis and and wonderful time in the greenhouse/?? Nice!! Makes you want to have one of everything doesn't it?
    I am after the fragrant ones like no tomorrow !
    I have a 165 dollar order on hold from Normans Orchids and 139 dollar one on hold from Santa Barbara and a 150 dollar one hold from another place..lol
    I think I am done. Now I really have no more room.... I just bought about 8 very fragrant small Phals...Some rare..
    Maggy, the last time I had a shot was 3 years ago..When I fractured my heel...I think it is still a saving grace for me..I got bit once before from Bo, and it looked like it was going to get infected, then gone. I think I would of got infected if I had not had that shot...I called the hospital and they told me it was still good and that I should not have to worry..But to keep a good close eye on it just incase.
    Get a good rest Maggy..I hear you on the lack of sleep at times..I am afraid if I went back to bed, I'd never sleep that night so I force myself to stay up all day and then go to bed early if I am tired.. No gym today for me

Evan,
    really???? I hear your weather goes above normal while we go below..Just ducky..lol
    Such an awesome group of pics man..I love them all..Maybe the jet stream will head north and rob some of that good ole warm air from you. I pray for that every day.
    I can't believe how good your frost hit plants look, especially my favorite..You really cleaned them up well. And now with all that warmth, they are bound to explode with growth again real soon. Lucky you. It will take months for me to see the 70's again..(((((((
    Lovely citrus you have there!

Steve, hello and and Tracy, hope you are ok.
    Steve, thank you for telling me about sweeties 2..I love them all. They seem so happy in your set up)

MIke

• maggyby
    9 years ago

Mike, You sound much better . I am happy to see your in good spirits .You are so right about this group.we have come to care about each other and to share so much.i am glad to see others joining us.
    I am feeling very spoiled you know..Brian got me a tree and now you have grown a kaffir cutting for me. WOW! I am so lucky. Thank you. By the way the Sherry baby you sent me is growing new roots and I see new growth It is doing very well. I can't believe how many orchids you have ordered. Tell me what you are getting. It will be like Christmas . How exciting . I like the fragrant ones as well and there were lots in the greenhouse we visited today.
    Where will you put them all. How are my babies doing? The ones I planted are still alive. I have a couple of phals that have rotted roots . I don't know what I did. Maybe overwater . They are in bark. They are resilient that is for sure. I saw a huge cymbidium in the grocery store but I don't have a place to put it but it might do well in the grocery store. Albert( who owns the greenhouse) told me he brings back orchids from Hawaii, and other parts of US all the time. He says as long as they are bare rooted or in moss it is legal. I am surprised to hear that but he has tons he brought from the US .
    I only slept for 1/2 hr. Today. We both used to have a personal trainer and go to the gym 4-5 times a week but stopped going after I injured my knee and spent months in Physio. We have however started eating really healthy ,lots of fruits and vegetables . Lean meat and fish and cut back on bread and starches as well. Rick lost 7 pounds in the last two weeks and I lost 5 . We are trying to walk every day as well.
    Mike, I didn't see any bugs in the greenhouse today . Maybe a little white fly on a leaf of my bay leaf tree but nothing on my citrus. I think there are spiders in there eating the bad guys .
    Cory is right about keeping an eye on your bite. Why did Bo bite you? Was he being mean or just by accident.
    Well my dear friend. Take care. Hugs and say hi to your Mom. Maggy

• Related Discussions

Cucumber pests

Q

Comments (4)
    I almost never see the worms/cats until it's too late, that's why the cukes and zukes are on a maintenance program of being sprayed with BT at least once a week. I also trellis them both to make it easier to spray both sides of the leaves, and the usual tactic of these little buggers is to attack the male flower, that's why I'm always stating that when the male flowers of the zukes are done and closing cut them off and discard away from the garden immediately.
    ...See More

Mealy bugs galore!

Q

Comments (25)
    Hi Daniella! It sure is ok to disagree, a healthy discussion helps us all. :^) - When you say "Otherwise just watering your garden with a spray hose would be enough"... actually it is definately enough, if it's done right, and with the right nozzel. This is a fact, and I don't say it lightly or without plenty of experience in different settings. I doesn't look like you have really tried my method in detail. You are taking your experience dealing with them in a similar way and extrapolating out, guessing, that the method won't won't work. But you really can't say that until you've actually tried the full method. BTW, are you sure you are talking about mealy bugs? When you say jumping bugs that you squish with your fingers, that doesn't sound so much like them. Mealy bugs are slow moving, and have bright white, very soft bodies. They also have white, sticky, mealy nests and hide within those nests in the tight crotches of leaf axils and in the tight bunches of new leaves. So it's hard to get at them with your fingers, and you would just end up with a sticky, messy, nest goo in your hand. (see link below for pic) Just to be clear, I did not mention straight alchohol. Yes it works fast, but it is also too time consuming for most people unless you have maybe one little indoor plant. It also doesn't address the root cause of the infestation. Stop to really think why you get an infestation some years and not others. Like you had mentioned, they are always out there on native plants to some degree, so why do they just explode some years on cultivated plants, and why not other years, even though the "seed" bugs are still out there? If your native plants have some, that may be normal, but if natives have full-blown infestations, then that's an indicator that you're not growing them in true native conditions, even though they may technically be a native somewhere else in your state. Mealy bugs are a "control" bug. If a plant is going too far outside it's bounds, they will knock it back down to keep it in check. Without bugs like this we would soon have only one species of plant on the earth. So if you have an infestation, it's an indicator that growing conditions are not right. The plants managed to survive for eons without our poisons, so when you get an infestation, treat the cause instead of just treating the syptom with poison. Here is the real key to why the method works: mealy bugs hate to get wet. Some bugs simply hate humidity, like spider mites, and that can sometimes be harder to fix with just a hose. Mealy bugs are different. They're affected by water, but not really plain humidity. With average simple watering they are able to survive inside their white sticky nests which are very water resistant. But when you blast through the nests with that very sharp spray, they loose enough of their white coating to be in mortal distress. 2-3 waterings like that kill most of the adults. Without the protection of the nests you blasted off on the first day, most of the larvae are soon dead too. Within a month of blasting them out of those tight hidden crotches, you will have full control (they're everywhere, so we'll never get every single bug). :^) - Tom Here is a link that might be useful: mealy bugs
    ...See More

A bug is bugging me

Q

Comments (8)
    Thank you everyone for the excellent feedback. I will spend lots of time studying the UF bug identification pages. And thank you for the encouragement Silvia. I didn't let my initial foray into vegetable gardening daunt me too much. I chalked it up to learning and even got 12 pints of roasted habanero salsa, a few pounds of sun-dried (dehydrator, LOL) tomatoes, a few quarts of pickles and a few pints of hot pickled okra before the whole thing crashed and burned. I read as much as I can as often as I can and try not to bug people with too many questions. I was the person in college and grad school who everyone hated because I was always waving my arm wanting to know how and why. So this morning I had a Hitchcock moment. Every morning I walk through the yard and carefully inspect everything. I noticed lacy leaves all of the way down on the bottom of some tomato plants. I can't bear to throw a seedling away when I thin, so after everything got potted I had about 12 plants left. I stuck them in the new in-ground veggie bed I put along the back of the house. I plucked a leaf off and turned it over. It was CRAWLING with dozens of almost microscopic worms/caterpillars. Like I said, I'm Mrs. Magoo even after implant surgery. I could see they were greenish and had some kind of stripe. They were so small that I didn't think I could squash them with my foot or roll the leaf up and squeeze them. I ran to the bird bath and shoved the leaf under water. Then I went back and carefully combed the bottoms of all of the plants. I found 5 or 6 more leaves like that and drowned them too. Now I'm curious about whether moths lay dozens of tiny eggs at a time or if the eggs hatch multiple caterpillars? It's time for another Bt spray anyway. I try to do it after irrigation nights. Today is dark and overcast and looks like rain so I may have to wait until tomorrow. I figured I'd let the babies drown good and proper and then change the water in the bird bath later. I should have taken a picture but my phone was in the house. I should throw them in a jar with mesh over the top and add a few leaves to see what they turn into after a bit. Snakes, worms and caterpillars gross me out so badly!
    ...See More

Squash bugs or (U)squash(/U) bugs or (S) use Ortho Bug Be Gone(/S

Q

Comments (16)
    Granny, until recently I was totally organic in the garden. When I would have an infestation of some kind, the organic correction was only marginally successful. I do not know if it was just me or my location or what. I wish these various links would define what they mean when they say "control". I assume they mean that you bring the population down to an acceptable level. To me an acceptable level is one, either male or female but not both. I see my only options right now as being, use BBG or not growing squash for a couple of years. I am so upset over this that I am going to have an IT instead of a BM. Ok so I told one little lie. :o) John Here is a link that might be useful: Johns Journal
    ...See More
  • maggyby
    9 years ago

Brian, I looked up the Halmin Orange.it sounds delicious. Sweet and very juicy and cold tolerant. Might be a good tree for you to consider. .having a Caesar and then cooking fresh Nova Scotia scallops for dinner. Yummy.
    Hope you are having a good week - end. Relaxing. My husband is such a gem. He drove me to the country to get citrus, went with me to visit the orchid greenhouse and now made me a drink. I hope he knows how much I appreciate him. Take care my friend.
    Maggy

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

Oh my my my . I spend an hour and a half in the greenhouse then have a little nap then turned on the citrus forum and wow is it ever been busy here . First off Cory darling I hope you didn't hurt yourself to bad . I wish i lived beside you I love snow blowing , I Love watching the snow shooting out the chute. Like everyone has mentioned here take a nice hot bath and you will feel brand new . I am amazed that you guy's have to clean your own sidewalks I guess the sidewalks are on your own property and you own them , right . You would think with all the property taxes you pay they would plow them . I guess they don't have the equipment . Gas snowblower's are the best I see people trying to use these small electric brooms that are meant for walkways trying to clear the pile the blow left hilarious . It takes lots of power to remove heavy wet snow . Isn't Evan a little devil showing these beautiful pictures of blue sky and citrus growing like crazy after the day you and Mikey had . Two hand slap back Evan good job lol . Mikey buddy I know that you really like the white stuff your just pretending to hate it . We are supposed to get a couple of inches tonight . Mikey I don't eat bugs that try to bite me or any bugs gross lol. I was bitten in the GH this afternoon . I usually go in the GH with the PJ's on , while watering the back trees I guess I had part of my lower torso exposed not a pretty site I am sure we'll that didn't bother the mosquitos I got bit right in my --- who knows it might have been a spider that got me there are enough of them in there . Maggy darling I am glad you enjoyed your outing today . 3 more was your husband with you lol . You shall not pay me no no no it's your birthday present and by the looks of the forcast cold cold and more cold it will be your birthday by the time you get it .
    Maggy I am not sure but I might have lost 2 trees my navel all the leaves are off at the bottom not sure about the top of the tree because all the trees are kind of intertwined . My Clemenules looks horrible lots and lots of leaves have come off . Oh well there will always be others not to nice to say but true there is only so much we can do . Maggy all my other trees look fantastic tons of fruit and green . November and December we had absolutely no sunshine it was so dark that's so hard on the trees especially when the GH being packed tight . Have you checked out fast growing tree's website they are having a half price sale until tomorrow . Here is a couple of pics of the GH today . Everybody have a great weekend . Here's a pic of the Kishu starting to go bananas .

Brian

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

Thursday's weather change left me with a high of 60 GH, Friday I hit an extremely short high of 80 when the clouds moved in. Today when I left for work at 12:1`5 pm with a GH temperature of 92. It was totally clear till 2. While I was at work the GH wall likely in the upper 90's but not 100. Tonight I infused some warm air into the GH. With so much more active growth I don't want the trees to cool off to much. I have to catch up later 4 my wife and I are going to th pops.

Steve

• evdesert 9B Indio, CA
    9 years ago

Hello everyone, just found a hibiscus flower this afternoon nestled among the damaged branches of the 'painted lady' here it is.

{{gwi:2124672}}

Evan

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

Hi Maggy sounds like you really are enjoying your Saturday excellent . Scallops so yummy are they organic lol . Steve love your setup you will never have to worry about your GH getting to cold in there , just prop open the window and blow the hot air from inside your home love it . My grandfather had something like that . Here is a few tango's hanging out wanted to show the shasta gold fruit they are almost ready but the picture is to blurred .

Brian

• jodik_gw
    9 years ago

In order to have organic foods for winter, Maggy, my husband puts up jars and jars of organic veggies, pickles, organic apple butter and apple sauce, and we try to grow root veggies that keep fairly well, too... canning has been a lifesaver! He's the better cook... I try, but he's got me beat! :-)

We usually butcher and freeze hunted meats, and we've occasionally made jerky out of venison. Meats can also be put up through canning.

Yes, it's a lot of work... but I'd rather expend the labor for organic foods that I know the origin of... than work for the money to buy less, and not know exactly where it came from, how it was made, or what's in it... or what all that is doing to our health.

We're in the beginning stages of getting off society's hamster wheel... and going "off-grid", as some call it. Our goal is to purchase a farmette out in the boonies with our son and his family, and all work toward producing our own power, growing and raising our own food sources, and realizing our own income from our combined skills. We'll trade or barter for anything else we might need, and my son and his wife both have good jobs. There'll be enough income, and we'll be there to look after the little ones.

We want to do whatever it takes to live the good life, the way we want to live, by our own code of honor, as it were... using our own measure to gauge our success instead of society's, and getting away from the materialistic, commercialized, stress-filled, over-processed, chemicalized way of life society pushes and conditions us to accept without question. That's just not who we are, and we can so obviously see how unhealthy a lifestyle it is.

We were raised out in the country, taught to hunt and trap, to raise livestock and farm... and that's where we want to be again, living a better life, for us and for the grandkids. There's a lot we'd like the opportunity to teach them before we get too old.

Mike, if you're interested in organic foods and organic cooking, there's a place we order from online occasionally called Tropical Traditions. They have sales a lot so you can really stock up on things like cold pressed coconut oil, organic flours and other baking goods, and food items.

The best thing I ever did was stop eating commercially baked breads and other like items that aren't baked in my own kitchen using organic ingredients.

Commercially baked breads contain bromine, which is really bad for you... do a little research on it. Bromine negates any iodine in your system from working as it should, and iodine is essential to thyroid health and proper cell growth.

As a society, we don't get nearly the amount of vitamins or minerals we used to because of how our food source is produced today. Most people are deficient in way too many needed nutrients, especially iodine.

We've done a lot of research over the years, mostly because we're retired canine breeders, and it was for their benefit... but it's fairly easy to translate nutritional needs from animals to humans through a little more research.

Anyway... again, I've talked ears off. See? You can't get me started or I don't quit! ;-)

Have a nice evening, everyone! :-) I'm off to watch UFC!

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just a quick pic everyone of my greenhouse surrounded by snow! Just got in for the 5th time shoveling and I am done for the night..I'll be back..

Have a wonderful night my friends)

{{gwi:2124673}}

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    9 years ago

Nice pictures Evan and Brian. Sorry about your 2 trees Brian. I have 2 that suddenly don't look to well either. It is just so dark these days. Also they are near the humidifier so maybe getting too wet but I have no where to move them. I put a few moisture loving plants on top of their pots to keep the mist off the trees as much to see if that will help. Steve, enjoy the pops. Your greenhouse should stay warm with the window open while you're away for a while.

I am not hurt from my falls. I landed on the snow and made a soft landing. There is not much tread left on my crocs. My sister says she heard there were 126 accidents from black ice already tonight in NJ. I will not be going out.

Cory

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    9 years ago

Attached is an article and picture of the prehistoric shark Brian was telling us about that was caught in Australia

Cory

Here is a link that might be useful: Pre historic Shark

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    9 years ago

Here's a picture of mine too.

Cory

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

Wow beautiful pics Mikey and Cory . Nice snow pack . Mikey I hope you don't have as much snow on your power lines as on your trees . You must admit that the snow makes a beautiful pic . I heard that they are calling for a monster snowstorm for you guys Monday night into Tuesday . Cory thanks so much for posting the link , I am going to have to learn how to do it myself . Ain't it cute , those things better only live in salt water . So glad to hear your not hurt Cory . You guy's better get lots of rest tonight and tomorrow for the big dig Tuesday morning . Big hugs guys glad you both are OK . Evan another beautiful pic love it I am sure Cory and Mikey appreciate it lol.

Brian

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

Just a little trimming. Click on the image to see it upright

• eSilviu
    9 years ago

Hello,
    I have a question about the Trovita orange tree from Evan's pictures:
    {{gwi:2124671}}

Does anybody know the reason why the leaves are deformed in such way?
    I have seen this anomaly on many potted plans in my area (orange, lemon, mandarin, key lime, trifoliate orange, kumquat, even hibiscus, dieffenbachia and peace lily!).
    I live in Romania (eastern Europe).

• maggyby
    9 years ago

I love the pictures of your greenhouses Cory and Mike? They look nice in the dark. Mike, it looks like yours might be in the North Pole, of course it feels like that here today. I was out for lunch with my friend who Is sick. It is her birthday. By the time I came home the temperature had dropped several degrees.
    Cory how are you feeling today after your fall ? Are you sore? I hope you are o.k. It is unfortunate that your snow blower does not work. Hopefully it is returnable and you can get something else. It is too bad that Brian is not close. He says he loves snow blowing. LOL ! He would help you . He is so kind and generous. We usually don't get enough snow to use a blower but last year was an exception.Is your storm finished now?
    Brian, yes I enjoyed the outing yesterday. My husband went with me, even to see the orchids. It was fun.he is such a good man. I do hope you don't lose your trees. That would be a shame.Perhaps they will recover. They seem resilient. I have a small Meyer Lemon with no leaves. It is filled with buds. Obviously from stress. So I won't let the fruit grow. Are you still thinking about getting a new greenhouse this year.? A bigger one I imagine. I love the size of Cory's .the one I have is going to have to last me for awhile. When Rick retires we will likely move to the Niagara region so no point in replacing it.
    The story about the prehistoric shark is interesting. Thanks for posting it Cory. It is a mean looking one.
    Jodik, I too do a lot of preserving. I do pickles,tomato's green/yellow bean, asparagus, peppers ,salsa ,sauces, Apple sauce and apple butter,rhubarb etc. I agree ,you know exactly what goes in it. I haven't bought canned tomato's for years. Last year I tried to grow my own garlic but is was not a success. I might try again this year.
    Sounds like a nice arrangement you have with your son and his wife to move to the country and try and be self sufficient. I think that is wonderful. I would love that but my husband is neither handy or inclined toward gardening or farming. I would be very interested to hear about your journey when you get it organized. Good for you. I think a simpler life would be so rewarding.
    The world is a difficult place these days. I grew up in the country and remember that life seemed so much less complicated and fulfilling. It was hard work but rewarding. I hope you realize your dream.
    Steve, seems like you have a good system worked out for your greenhouse.
    Evan thanks for sharing your beautiful flower. It is like looking at sunshine and helps with the winter blues.
    Trace thinking of you . How are your trees doing?
    Hope everyone if having a good Sun. Maggy

• maggyby
    9 years ago

Brian, I am jealous of your Kishu. Mine is soooooo small still. Maggy

• jodik_gw
    9 years ago

Nice pictures! Gosh, you guys really got the snow, Mike!

I'm afraid we might be in for some... it's raining, but it feels like the temperature is dropping, so we may end up with ice, or ice under snow... even worse! I hope the storm system misses us!

Thanks, Maggy! We're going to try our hardest to see that we can realize our dream... to live a simpler life, a healthier life, and one with tons of benefits... especially for the grandkids! We want them to know where their foods originate, and how to grow and/or butcher their own.

Every kid needs to know where eggs come from, how bees make honey, and where meats and fruits and vegetables come from. It's sad that there are actually kids out there that equate ketchup with tomatoes... because that's all they know. Or they think eggs are all white and the same size... because that's all they see.

Yes, our country has changed a whole lot, and not all of it for the better. Medically and technologically, and mechanically and the like, we've come far... but there's a price to be paid for all our industry.

Don't give up on trying to grow garlic, or anything you want to... where there's a will, there's a way. You just have to figure out what it didn't like last year.

Our gardens come with successes and failures, too... we just keep trying, changing things up, learning, working with Mother Nature... it's always a process. But there is light at the end of the tunnel, and it's not the train! :-)

What I'd really like is a new body, and more hours in a day! Imagine what I could get done with actual strength, bones that cooperated, and extra time!

Yes... all you guys and gals that have snow... be careful! It's not worth getting hurt just to rush the shoveling! And as we get older, we have to watch that our systems cooperate, that we don't overdo it... I was reading earlier this season that more people have heart attacks and other issues while dealing with snow than at any other time of year. So... take it easy!

We like to use a combination of salt, sand, and oil dry for sidewalks and other slick areas. That way, we can use less salt so the plants don't get hurt... and the sand is no problem, and the oil dry is the same kind I'd use to make my Gritty Mix, so the plants along the sidewalk don't mind so much.

Tonight is crock pot pork roast and veggies... smells good already... can't wait!

More pictures coming soon... ya'll have a good evening!

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

Hi gang . Maggy so glad that you had a great time with your friend today . Hope your friend felt great today . Does your friend enjoy gardening ? Did you get her a nice orchid for her birthday ? Maggy the temp is really dropping now they are calling for minus 10 F or minus 24 C . It was a beautiful not a cloud in the sky day just like in Evan's picture . The GH was in the sun all afternoon . It was supposed to be sunny all week but they changed tomorrow to cloudy and flurries the tail end of Cory's and Mikey's big monster east coast storm that is going to hit them tomorrow night . Maggy how did you like Evan's hibiscus picture I really love that variety . I just love the white markings on the flower very stunning . It sounds like you and Jodik and Cory are going to be good cooking buddies . Mikey Cory hope you guys got lots of rest today your going to need it for all that snow removal headed your way . Are they going to have your towns closed down Monday and Tuesday . You can't really drive in that kind of weather . If you guys have it off hoping you enjoy your snow day off . Hi Steve aren't you glad you don't live on the east coast . I was looking at Cincinnati's weather and noticed that you really have it much better than the rest of us except of course Evan . Evan glad to hear you tanned both sides . Your yard and plants and sky is so beautiful. Our sky looked like yours today except 70 degree difference . Hope you enjoyed your sunny weekend . Hi Trace . Hugs everyone .

Brian

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    9 years ago

Hello everyone, As Brian says it looks like a monster snowstorm is coming to dump 1-3 ft of snow on us Monday and Tuesday, starting late tonight. I don't know if I am up to shoveling so much. I wish the new snowblower was working like I had hoped. Brian, it is always so cold where you live. My low temperatures don't even come close. I don't know how you and your plants endure it. I thought the greenhouse finally was cleared of the scale, but I found more on the baby cattleyas again today and a really big outbreak on my very large specimen cattleyas that I keep way up in the peak. I found it when I got up there to take the big red one down that was behind everything and I could hardly see the flowers. Unfortunately I knocked a big branch of flowers off. Those are the flowers I knocked off trying to to get it down in the picture. There are several more bud branches on it though. It doesn't seem to have much scale but the plants surrounding it were full of it even though I sprayed them with the oil last week and the weeks before plus the systemic. I left them down so I can keep my eye on them better but now I have no room to walk. I sprayed everything again, even my citrus trees just incase more are lurking that I don't readily see. Yes, Evan's red hibiscus is just so beautiful and reminds me of summer.

Esilvu, I will let Evan say about his citrus leaf, but from what I know, he lives in the desert with 100°F+ temperatures much of the year and he recently experienced a very cold front move through bringing less than 20°F for a couple days so that is probably what caused the damage to the leaves in that picture. He will probably chime in here soon. Welcome to our "Bugs" group thread (s ).

Cory

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    9 years ago

Here is the rest of the plant. If you look closely you can see one of the bud branches that are left. There are more on the other side.

Cory

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    9 years ago

Here is Kryptonite again with more buds open. Maggy, I was not hurt by my fall.

Cory

• evdesert 9B Indio, CA
    9 years ago

I have only had that Trovita Orange tree for a few weeks and the days that we had really low temps I had brought it into the garage for protection. I think it was over fertilized by the nursery that I bought it from. It can cause the leaves to grow too quickly and cause deformities during development. I am about to plant it in ground and put some irrigation to it. I am also waiting for willits & newcomb to deliver their trees to costco so I can pick up a few more cultivars. I am hoping they have a feminello lemon. That's the best explanation I have for the deformed leaves. It is growing like crazy right now because of the warm temps we have had the last few days. I am also going to plant my Owari satsuma in ground because it survived the winter in a pot and I had posted on the forum here that if it survived the winter I would plant it in ground in my yard. So we will see, everyone stay warm!
    Evan

• maggyby
    9 years ago

Brian, we had a nice time today . There were 7 of us. My friend does not share my love of gardening and orchids I am afraid.
    Cory, Mike, I saw the news about your approaching monster snow storm. You will need to hunker down inside . Sounds like the amount of snow and winds will be a challenge. Do you have emergency food and water supplies ? I am sure you are well prepared. We will be watching the news and thinking of you. Keep safe.
    Cory the cattelya flowers are beautiful. I saw so many pretty ones yesterday at the greenhouse . I wish I had room for them. Sorry to hear you still have scale. I didn't see any bugs yesterday in my greenhouse. I sprayed as you suggested though with the soap abc Rosemary.
    Mike hope you are getting ready for the storm and stay home if you can. You don't want to be driving. Keep us informed.
    Hi Jodik, Steve, Evan, and Trace . We are not getting snow but the weather is very cold. My greenhouse gas dropped from 65 to 54 in the last few hours.
    Maggy

• maggyby
    9 years ago

Removed

This post was edited by maggyby on Sun, Jan 25, 15 at 22:03

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

Hi Cory nice to hear your OK . Isn't it frustrating when you can't move in the GH without breaking something or getting injured by a thorn or branch in the face . That's to bad what a beautiful flower will it keep in a vase for awhile, all of your flowers are so beautiful !!!!! . The scale bug is the worst of the worst I know exactly what your going through . No matter how hard you try they keep coming back . I will probably loose my clemenules to those buggers and there is not much I can do . When I brought them in the GH in early September I washed and washed didnt see any when I brought them in and now we'll . I can't take them out to wash so I just have to put up with it . Cory please take it easy tomorrow . Cory instead of buying a gas snow blower why don't you contract out to someone that plows driveway's they are all doing it up here and it's not that expensive , between $250 and $300 for the season well worth it or is there anyone with a plow that will clean your driveway for this storm ? Even though I Love snow blowing if the snowblower dies we are not going to replace it we will contract out . You take it easy my friend and you're GH looks amazing very jealous !!!!.

Brian

• maggyby
    9 years ago

Cory, I too am glad you are o.k. Brian has a good point about hiring someone to do the snow clearing .It might be easier for you and cheaper than a new snow blower and less dangerous to your health. We contracted for someone to do our landscaping and maintaince for a couple of years and wasn't that expensive. Just a thought.you stay warm And safe Your flowers are beautiful as usual. Maggy

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey everyone. so sorry I have not a moment to read anything. Took care of Mom all day yesterday and getting ready for the blizzard! I have to dig out my propane heater before I head off to work.
    I'll be back sometime tonight or tomorrow..Just wanted to say I was thinking of you all)

Mike

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    9 years ago

So far only about 2". There is heavy snow all around us according to the weathermap, but we seem to be slipping through a hole in between the clouds. May it continue that way. The forecast was 2-3 ft.and now 1-2 ft. Our towns forecast was 27" last night but now revised to 24". I hope you are all doing as well.

Cory

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

Good luck Cory and Mikey are thoughts are with you guys . That's all everyone is talking about at work . Good idea Mikey with those high winds . Stay safe guys

Brian

• maggyby
    9 years ago

Hi Mike ,Cory, We are watching the forecast for your area. Cory, it will be nice if the storm in your area is downgrated. It still sounds pretty severe. Do you have backup source of heat and power? We can use our gas fireplace for best and gas stove for cooking . Stay inside if you can.
    Mike I do hope you are not planning to drive . I heard they may close highways in your area later today.
    I am sorry to hear your Mom is not well. I hope she is feeling better.
    It is very sunny here today but very cold. But the greenhouse is 71. F.
    You know you should move to a warmer climate if you can. You did like the winter so much.
    Keep us updated if you can.
    Brian, are you still in the deep freeze. ? I see Nova Scotia is going to get blasted by the storm that is affecting the Easten Seaboard of United States.
    Jodik, how is the weather in your area? Steve what about you.
    Trace how you doing? Take care my friends. Maggy

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone for your concerns. I am doing well and my GH is doing much better than I. I had a 62 temperature rise and hit 90F today. It appears that any totally clear day will put me above 80F for the remainder of winter. I would need a high of 20F to drop me to 70F. We will get few if any of those onward. 40F and above is solar heating for my place. I have my starts outside in the GH. Here is kale and Chard.

Steve

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

Brian. for $300 dollars a year I could get my drive shoveled. doesn't sound bad, but wait 6 years and think of the GH you could buy with that money.

Here are some more GH shots. This time my Meyer lemon.

Steve

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

My first fig leaf of the 2015 growth.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

The only sweetlee tangerine tree with growth. she is from seed and planted in the ground.

• orangelime1
    9 years ago

Hi Maggy hope you're feeling very well today . Our poor friends I think are in for quit the night . We have had some pretty big snowstorm's but never any with hurricane force winds . Wasn't it a beautiful day today , lots of sun here to . I am sure the tree's in the GH are loving this . Last night it was around minus 20 F last night but it has warmed up to 7 F this afternoon feels pretty good . Next week they are calling for a major arctic outbreak next week . I love watching the weather another passion of mine . I have yours Cory's , Mikey's , Steve's weather on my phone . Maggy 71 very nice and toasty . Mine in the full sun hit 67 and the temperature outside was 0 F not bad . Last night it went down to 45 in the GH not bad considering it was minus 20 F last night . We'll my friend have a great evening . Hugs .

Brian

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

The other veggie starts in the GH. I have a more currant picture but will replace when I find it.

Now I have to go on my 3rd job so wish all of you the best

Steve

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    9 years ago

Hello everyone, It has just started snowing very hard now. We no longer are between the clouds. It is about 4 inches deep now but the last 2" came down in about 15 minutes or less. Both NJ and NY have closed state offices for this pm and all day tomorrow so I guess they are expecting the worst. So far I am just watching. I will have to go out soon to make sure the air vents for the greenhouse do not get blocked and turn off the gas heaters. They are near ground level so can easily be blocked although I have built a snow barrier around them. I am deciding whether to shovel a little now or wait a bit as it is coming down hard and I might get a lull in a while. It is rare that anyone comes by to shovel anymore. They do in my sister's neighborhood, but it costs $250 for her front and $100 for her back driveway and she helps with the shovelling. There is no room for a plow to put the snow in either of our driveways and our driveways are bluestone which get caught up in the snowblowers. If I have to hire someone I will if I can find someone. I have gas heat in my house but the ignition and heat blowers are electric, so if the electricity goes out it could be a problem. We do have a small gas heater we can use in our fireplace in the living room to provide some heat, but it is very small compared to the size of our house. Fortunately the greenhouse is all gas and doesn't need electricity to operate. The thermostats operate off the gas somehow. Maybe I will have to put out the plants and move in there ourselves Lol! We used to get huge storms all the time when we were children, but we haven't generally gotten them much for a long time so the newpeople get very excited. It is hard to tell how much is hype. But again, we sure got wiped out by Sandy, so we never know what to expect and just be ready for the worst.

Hope everyone else is home safe.

Cory

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You know, you are all so right. It is cheaper hire a snow shoveler than to buy a machine, but as Cory say's, no one wants to make money anymore I guess..I use to get snow shovelers walking the neighborhood after every storm, now you would be lucky to see one and would be strandd for days to wait for one.
    Now, I have to do all the shoveling myself and it's a good thing I have stronng core muscles and a flat 6 pack belly!
    You need all the strentgh you can get coming from your gut regiuon and then if I had a belly that hug over my waist, I'd never be able to see how much snow gets into my shovel..
    Then the heart attack thingy, goodnes, I hope that never happens to me since I eat right and shovel very slow and a little at a time...That's the key...Shovel bits at a time and keep up with it if it falls by day and before midnight...After that, I'm in bed..

Cory, I hope you are ok and please try not to fall...Sheesh, you worry me...Don't you know any man in your immediate family that can come and bail you out? If I lived near you, I would..
    It's hard to imagine they can tell what a storm can do even before it's born..lol It has not even developed off the coast yet and yet the computer models tell them every move of this thinking monster..Makes no sense.

I got my huge propane tank ready and my other propane heater just incase..But I think the southern part of me will be worst because the snow there is suppose to be very heavy...When the winds are blwoing at 55 miles and hour like they are suppose hear at my home and teh snow is light which it will be, then usually I don't loose trees or elcetricity....It's much worst with heavy snow even with no wind...

I got a three hour workout in yesterday to prepare for myself for this...My poor orchids.....I hope they don't mind my company for hours tomorrow while it snow like crazy, because those seem to be the only local friends I have that truly care about me and that are fun to spend time with....Even my cat Bo has been a brat these days, but he is ok..

By the way, the bites looked all healed up and thanks to you all, love you all, and Jodiks threat to kick me in the but if I don't care for it, it is much better..I called the hospital to make sure too..They said don't worry..The cat was all caught up in shots, they laughed when I said that I briush his teeth, and I had a tetnas shot 3 years ago...

Ok, I am about to get kicked out, so I must go and I will talk to you all later..Love you all

• maggyby
    9 years ago

Hi All, Brian, I too love to watch the weather. I have yours,Cory's Mike's . On my iPad app. Not sure exactly where Steve is located.
    Cory. I agree with you that there is a lot of hype on tv but understand your concern having experienced Sandy. As you said you can always keep warm in the greenhouse if needed. Hope you can keep your vents clear.
    Mike, are you at work? I see New York is closing roads at 11 pm. What about Boston? Be careful shovelling. A very good friend if mine had a fatal heart attack when shovelling snow three years ago. Stay inside if you can. We are thinking of you and Cory.
    Steve, nice starts to your vegs. Trees look good.
    Stay safe. Maggy

• eSilviu
    9 years ago

Hi Steve,
    Can you post a picture with more leaves of your sweetlee tangerine tree?

At the moment I have new growth on Fukushu Kumquat, calamondin and two different mandarins.
    Nagami kumquat, trifoliate orange and Navel orange still sleeps, lemon just finished the minor winter flush.
    I found interesting that the various cultivars are synchronized in growth flush, even if plants are in different rooms, with different temperatures and illumination schedules!
    What is the link between them? Can't be the light, temperature, watering or care...

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

I am here

Steve

{{gwi:2124625}}

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

This is Sweetlee tangerine tree #4. It is the one with about 10 buds growing.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

Sweetlee #3 with absolutely no growth or even bud swelling. They are side by side in the same greenhouse an treated the same. They receive the same light.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    9 years ago

My Meyer lemon started is shoots near the end of November and is showing no sign of relaxing. My other Meyer is starting 2 months later

Steve

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    9 years ago

Just finished the first round of shoveling during the lull in the storm. I live on a corner so I have a lot to do plus I have fire hydrant and sewer drain to keep clear. Dug out the gas vents to the greenhouse and paths to it. It is not bad yet. I just hope the street plow doesn't push everything on my sidewalk again. I stared him down just daring him to just try. You may see a headline "old lady with broom takes on plow truck. Plow truck loses". All the old people in my neighborhood are out there shovelling. The young ones are inside watching the storm on TV.

Cory

• maggyby
    9 years ago

Cory, you made me laugh. I can picture you standing on the street corner threatening the plough driver. I have no doubt he would lose. Haaaaaaaa.
    It is good to keep ahead of it but a lot of work. Hope the plough doesn't undo it .The TV forecasts are all over the place . I hope it isn't as bad as they are predicting. Thinking of you. Maggy

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lololol Cory you are too funny!! That is exactly what they do on my street...I live on the north and they always plow down my street pushing all the snow onto my side! Yes, for years, and I'v tried calling city hall to complain about it and it falls on deaf ears....The other side is the south facing side and they loose their snow weeks before I do..They could be growing their tulips on their side while the snow pile on my side has yet to melt..It's ARG!

Then to say that the young ones are watching T.V while the old ones are out shoveling..You are right! lol

Maggy, thank you for your concern.. You are such a sweet heart and so is Brian and too Steve and others..
    They let me out of work early but it took me 1 and 1/2 hours to get home even on the stinking back roads! I swear everyone was out like cockroaches and I don't understand how it was that there was that many cars on back country roads..Sheesh, if we ever had a real disaster, I'd be screwed...Have you seen the supermarkets these days every time there is any impending disaster...? It's each man for himself..I never saw such a bunch of selfish scared people in my life hoarding everything.. Forget trying to get milk, eggs, or bread..I saw people with over ten gallons of water at once and not a loaf of bread on the shelf for anyone else by 730 a.m and the store opens at 7..That scares me...That people would kill their neighbor if they had to to survive...Goodness..

Brian, what's up? Thank you buddy for your concern..I can't get it how it's that cold at your house and that your greenhouse does not freeze..That's awesome...Pray none of us loose our power without knowing it buddy! Those space heaters in which you have to press the reset button even if you loose electricity for a sec scares me. That is why I always have the back up one that just turns on once it comes back on again..
    I'll keep you updated on my conditions..

Jodik, hello!! Thanks for all your support and advice..I really appreciate that...How's your weather today? Are you getting this storm at all? How about the Arctic air crap? Josh say's he was 75 today! he has been running many degrees ABOVE normal for months whole we are running below normal..I'd switch in a heart beat!
    How was the energy levels today?
    Thanks for sharing such good info.

Cory, I meant to tell you..STUNNING your plants! Man, please, smell them all and if you get a very strong fragrant one, you know where to find me..lol Beautiful Cory..Even despite those darn buggers!

Steve, wow...Nice work..I can't believe it gets that HOT in your greenhouse so early...Good for you..I am happy for you..You could tan in there. I had no idea your temps run much warmer than mine..I thought you were in the Arctic circle like us...Good work

Esiliu. welcome here)

Have a wonderful night all and I'll be back later

Mike

• tcamp30144(7B N.ATLANTA)
    9 years ago

Hi all your trees look great my trees are still doing good been very depressed lately. They suspended my license under code 40-9-61 for a wreak i had over 5 years ago the insurance company of the other drive file a civil suit. They sent all court to the wrong address so I was never told about it so they got a default judgement because i didn't respond to it. It such a mess Plus my mom just had emergency Gallbladder surgery. And I cant drive up to help up or take care of my greenhouse as i should. I have a friend taking me up once a week to check on all. I cant go to work now I am going to have to bankrupt to get my licences back or pay the 10000 they say i owe for the damages. I need any kind of help anyone can offer just email me. I was blind sided with this 2 weeks ago. If ppl cant help just prey for me if nothing else.
    Trace

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So far, 2 and a half feet of snow and it's still coming down hard! Goodness! I have been shoveling since 5am..I'm tired now and besides, once I shovel it, the wind blows it right back behind me...

Tracy, I am so sorry about what you are going through..If I could help you monetarily, I sure would..I wish I was rich. I would help you and a few others on a short list that I have. I am so sorry to hear of what you are going through...Don't feel alone..It's been a trying time for just about everyone here in the past year. My goodness. Between friend sand family with cancer, personal issues. health issues and financial issues, we will all pray for each other.
    My Mom just had the same surgery this past summer and is doing awesome now. I wish yours the same.
    Everything will be ok...Just when you think you can't take things anymore, every thing works out ok. YOu are strong from what I can tell and you will get through this..
    Just know we all care, we do, even if we can't do anything financially wise.Sometimes prayers and thoughts have a much powerful effect. We all have your back))
    I hope your trees do ok. If not, they are all replaceable..Once you are able to focus on them again, they will be wonderful. Just focus on your health first and then others around you. try not to get over whelmed and turn to good friends and family for help, even here if you wish) Much love and a HUG from the group)

MIke