SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
molanic

2014 Recap w/ Photos

molanic
9 years ago

Every winter I like to go through my yardlist and photos for the year to remind me of summer, and make plans for spring. 2014 was a little better than last year, although it was a bit of a slow start. I saw many more monarchs than last year, and raised maybe 50-75 (lost my tally sheet)? I also got to raise a few black swallowtails which was nice.

I apologize in advance... some of these photos I may have already posted months ago.

These three were new species sightings to the yard this year.

Currant Clearwing (Synanthedon tipuliformis)

{{gwi:2123320}}

Wild Indigo Duskywing Butterfly (Erynnis baptisiae)

{{gwi:2123321}}

Eastern Tailed-Blue Butterfly - Cupido comyntas

{{gwi:2123322}}

This year I saw a viceroy, red-spotted purple, and giant swallowtail on more than one occasion which was exciting. Previous years I was lucky if I saw just a glimpse of them one time.

Red-spotted Purple Butterfly - Limenitis arthemis

{{gwi:2123323}}

Giant Swallowtail Butterfly (Papilio cresphontes)

{{gwi:518005}}

Limenitis archippus - Viceroy Butterfly

{{gwi:2123324}}

I had seen spring azures, buckeyes, and commas before. But this is the first time I have been able to get good photos of them to really see their markings up close. This is also the first non-ratty buckeye I have seen and to me they are now one of the most stunning butterflies.

Spring Azure Butterfly (Celastrina ladon)

{{gwi:2123325}}

Common Buckeye Butterfly (Junonia coenia)

{{gwi:2123326}}

Eastern Comma Butterfly

{{gwi:2123327}}

For some reason this year every time I had my camera there was a lot of hanky-panky going on. I also got a picture of damselflies mating this summer.

Pieris rapae - Cabbage White Butterfly

{{gwi:522455}}

Snowberry Clearwing Moth (Hemaris diffinis)

{{gwi:2123328}}

Peck's Skipper Butterfly - Polites peckius

{{gwi:2123329}}

Monarch Butterfly - Danaus plexippus

{{gwi:523217}}

This year there was also a battle royale between one very determined monarch and a pissy hummingbird. We only ever have one or two female hummers stay for the summer, but they sure are territorial.

Monarch Butterfly & Ruby-throated Hummingbird

{{gwi:2123330}}

I had a new camera to play with this year which was fun. My optical zoom ability doubled from 12x to 24x and the auto-focus is so much faster which makes thing easier. I'm also now able to do HD video which is sometimes easier for making ids than photos. I also got a cheap led light for the top of the camera too. Next year I would like to use it to photograph moths at night, which I never got around to this year.

Hope we all have a good year for leps in 2015!

Comments (8)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor