SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bwoodwar

L111 electrical problem

bwoodwar
9 years ago

Hello

I have a John Deere L111 that I bought used this past spring. I keep having the same strange problem that I was hoping somebody here could help me with.

First time I went to use my mower in the spring after I got it, I found that the battery was dead. The previous owners were surprised by this because they said that it was a relatively new battery. I took it to Autozone and they said the battery was bad, so I bought a new one. When I put the new battery in I could see the LCD display that shows usage hours (which wasn't working before) and I could hear a click when I turned the key, which I wasn't hearing before, but it still wouldn't start. I did a little research and found that this probably meant it needed a new solenoid, so I got one and installed it, and it worked. I used it weekly all summer without problem after this.

Then when I hit early fall when I no longer needed to mow every week and it sat idle for 3-4 weeks, I went out to start it and found that the battery was dead again. I took it to Autozone, and they once again said it was not only dead but bad, so I got another one brought it home. Once again, with the new battery it would click but not start. So I ordered another solenoid and put it in and it worked fine. I only used it one time - that was the last time I needed to mow.

Now I'm wanting to use it to help me get rid of some leaves, and the battery is once again dead. And once again Autozone said that it is bad. And I have a sinking feeling that if I replaced the battery I would find that it still wouldn't start without replacing the solenoid too, but I decided not to continue this vicious cycle until I figure out why this keeps happening.

I called a local repair place and they said that maybe it doesn't have a good ground. I just checked and it does look like it has a wire going from the solenoid to ground, and as far as I know it is on there correctly. Does anybody have a suggestion?? Does anybody know where I can see a picture/diagram of how all of the battery cables should be connected on this model? (Maybe I have something backwards?)

Thanks!

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living
More Discussions