SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
daninthedirt

pee in compost versus on growing plants

At the risk of engendering a chorus of "oh, not again!", I'd like to ask some questions about use of human urine in gardens. BTW, I'm not interested to hear about people who are grossed out about it, or people who think it unsanitary. This isn't about that. Save it.

I understand that undiluted urine in compost is *great*. Adds nitrogen, and helps decomposition in what might be a nitrogen poor pile.

I also understand that, properly diluted, it is OK, and perhaps excellent, to put it on growing plants. I've heard that at least one reason to dilute it before application is that the salt content of urine can be significant (approaching that of seawater), and over-salinity of soil for growing plants can be a big problem.

So, putting two and two together, why are we not concerned with overly salty compost? Is it that salty compost is OK because plants aren't going to be growing in pure compost? Are we assuming that the salt in compost will eventually naturally "wash out" before the compost gets put on plants? For salt-intolerant plants, like peas and beans, should one "rinse" the compost with water before application?

Doesn't quite make sense. I'd like some chemically and horticulturally sensible explanation for why peeing a lot on compost is a good thing for the end product.

Comments (36)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH