SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
crueltyfre

compost versus fertilizer

crueltyfre
15 years ago

End a friendly argument, puh-leez! I live in a suburb community that is 25 years old. For the first 20 years, the yard next door was owned by people who didn't plant, garden, fertilize, water, etc. It was nothing but sand and weeds for 20 years. IMHO, any nutrients that soil originally might have had were depleted years ago.

Five years ago my current neighbor moved in and is a gardening nut (which I love). But he has never fertilized a thing either, organically or not, he only lays down compost. The size of his plants tell me it is not (they're small, esp. veggies). The fact that his plants wither or freeze when mine (right next door) do fine, also tells me there's a problem.

One time I saw him put down store bought cow manure compost and showed him how the bag read 0-0-0 (he now makes his own). He contended that the other nutrients in that manure bag would feed the plants.

So, I think his yard is depleted of any nutrients and needs fertilizer of any sort. He thinks his yard is getting all it needs from his home made compost. Who's confused here??

Lori

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals