SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lonegreywolf20

I Have A Two Year Old Ficus Benjamina That I Grew From A Clippin

lonegreywolf20
9 years ago

A few weeks ago, my wife purchased a juniper bonsai for me for Christmas knowing that I have wanted a bonsai tree for near as long as she has known me. After doing a bunch more research then I did without a bonsai I decided that the juniper was not suited for apartment life. Especially when said apartment doesn't have a deck/balcony, plus I live in Central Florida, not exactly a great place for it to go into dormancy.

So I have decided to grow this two year old ficus benjamina into a bonsai if I can. I have a much larger ficus benjamina that I have put into the woods behind our apartment that I can also take clippings from if for some reason this two year old one will not work.

There are questions that I have, such as how do I get the trunk to thicken up? Can I even turn this two year old ficus into a bonsai?

I will probably have more, but I do not want to get into an information overload.

If it looks like there isn't much sun, it has been cloudy here in Florida today and this was just from an hour or so ago.

I have a thread about the juniper here a little ways below. In that thread someone recommended a ficus for my growing conditions and wanting a bonsai.

However, on another forum that I posted to today, I was told that ficus benjamina do not make good bonsai trees. So I am a bit confused on whether or not this can work.

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County