Houzz Logo Print
cindydavid4

Kids version of the RP List of Essential books

19 years ago

A take on Martin's excellent idea - what books, read by RPers as children or read by children of RPers, seem essential reading for kids even now? Lets put in a few categories (I am trying for gender nuetral, not sure if thats possible....)

>books to be read to

>books for young readers (6-10 ish)

>books for young teens

>books for older teens, young adults

Only one book (or series) per category. When finished, I'll tally them up, post the list, and then people can add any glaring omissions.

My choices:

>books to be read to: Just So Stories by Rudyard Kipling. Not just for the stories themselves, but the richness of the language and humor that even young children would love ( Elephant's Child is still one of my fav books to read aloud to kids)

>young readers: Boxcar Children by Gertrude Chandler Warner

>pre teens: Phantom Tollbooth by Norman Justin

This is a book I read over and over, each time getting the point a little bit more. Great fun

>teens: Tale of Two Cities Charles Dickens

This is my favorite Dickens, and one I read over and over again after it was first introduced to me.

Comments (33)