SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jessyf_gw

Looking for Japanese equivalent of Heorot, Valhalla

jessyf
14 years ago

Hello well-read Glyphs members

My husband is building a Japanese style tea house (also known as a gazebo) .... it will have a zen garden and an alcove for flower presentation - he has read up on the whole shebang. It may not be authentic, but it is his labor of love and he is so looking forward to relaxing in it.

I'd like to get him a plaque to put above the entrance to 'name' the tea house - and I immediately thought of 'Heorot' or 'Valhalla' - famous abodes from Beowulf and Norse legend which don't quite fit the bill here, LOL.

Does anyone know of a legendary or literary Japanese equivalent? Links appreciated so I can show him!

Thanks so much.

Comments (4)

• balrog1954
    14 years ago

Hi, Jessy.

It's hard to think of an answer for your question; the Japanese mind doesn't seem to work that way. Most castles are named after the locale or city they're built in. Thus Osakajo = Osaka Castle. Temples and shrines have names that are often fanciful (e.g. Temple of the Golden Pavilion), but it didn't sound like a religious connotation is what you were looking for.

Most Japanese heroes tended to be paripatetic and did not have castles they were based at. You could name the gazebo after a famous battle, and, according to taste, add -jo to it to denote a structure (e.g. Ichinotanijo to commemorate the battle of Ichi-no-tani). Or just make something up: colors or elements + mythical creatures often make a good combination (e.g. Veridian Manticore Palace) while sounding suitably Oriental. :-)

• jessyf
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ah, thanks, balrog. I'm not familiar with Japanese lore. Onwards in my search.

(hmmmm that reminds me of one more name to add to the list! I don't think DH will much like 'Moria' LOL)

• donnamira
    14 years ago

You might consider Mt Fuji, or Fujisan.

Quote from "Sacred Sites of Japan" (http://www.sacredsites.com/asia/japan/introdution_sacred_japan.html)

"Situated in a region densely populated from the stone age and frequently active since its last eruption in 1707, the mountain has acquired an ancient and enormous corpus of myth regarding its divine origins, resident deities, and spiritual powers. The soaring peak has been venerated as the home of a fire god, later the dwelling of a Shinto goddess of flowing trees, and since Buddhist times, the abode of Dainichi Nyorai, the Buddha of All-Illuminating Wisdom."

Here is a link that might be useful: Volcano Myths/Japan

• jessyf
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey donnamira your link sent me off to find shinto shrines (I'm looking for man made structures).

Found this

Shogun shrine

Then I clicked a bit more and found a castle among castles - Himeji castle That might fit the bill, even though its not a literary or legendary edifice!

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County