SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ginny12first

What Came Before He Shot Her--SPOILERS

ginny12
17 years ago

"What Came Before He Shot Her" is Elizabeth George's new book in the Inspector Lynley series. If you plan on reading it, don't read any more as this post contains SPOILERS, information that reveals things that happen in the book. Fair warning.

This book just came out last week and thru several coincidences, I was able to get it from the library and read it on a trip. I am eager to hear what others think of it as people get the chance to read it.

I found it very disturbing. If I had been home, with other things to read, I am not sure I would have finished it. It portrays the worst of human behavior and unrelenting tragedy for a number of innocent people. Every time something positive happens, things get even worse. And it is all so believable, with similar things happening to real people right now, which makes the reading experience even worse.

My own opinion is that Elizabeth George has long wanted to be a novelist, a literary figure, rather than a mystery writer. Her books have increasingly moved from the mystery genre to serious literary effort. Others will have to judge if she has succeeded. This book has almost no mystery and does not feature any of her usual characters, except for a brief moment.

And I firmly believe that the book is a direct response to the strong shock and criticism Elizabeth George received from many of her readers when she "killed off" a major recurring character in the last book. "What Came Before He Shot Her" is an apologia, an explanation for that event. I'd be surprised if the author would have written this book without the tremendous hostility she felt from so many of her fans. Even on her own website!

I think we are intended to feel such compassion for Joel, the young boy we believe to be the killer, that we forgive him--and Elizabeth George--for the murder of Helen Lynley. My heart certainly broke for that child but I do think he--and other characters in the book--made a number of sudden behavioral changes that were too sudden and not quite believable.

I've only seen one or two reviews so far and I have heard comparisons with Charles Dickens in that the book portrays the dark side of London life. But Dickens was an impossible optimist; this is the exact opposite. It might be subtitled: "The [British] Empire Strikes Back".

I guess it's a sign that the author succeeded if this book is still haunting me so strongly but I'm still not sure I'm glad I read it.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH