SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rottenlivia

I need to read a passage from a book. Can someone quote it here?

rottenlivia
16 years ago

Hello all,

It is taken from a scene in Agrippa's Daughter by Howard Fast. I used to have it written on the front of several school binders back in the late 70's because it was just musical to my ears and I simply loved it. Now, I'm in my late 40's and can't find it anywhere. My copy, purchased when I was 15, was carried away by someone I mistakenly called friend. I could never believe she had a true heart for the story or she would never have pinched it from me. All my favorite parts were underlined.

Anyway...it was in a scene where Berenice and her husband Shimeon Ben Gamaliel are having an intimate conversation and there is disagreement between them due to his being asked to take a political stand against Rome and Berenice is reminding him of the passive teaching of his father, Hillel. She quotes from them and begins 'Who diminishs himself, diminishes me and who diminishes another, diminishes me. ....' and it ends with her saying something to the effect of 'Have I lived to hear death spoken in the house of life'....something to that effect.

It has simply been driving me crazy. I would appreciate it so much. He had recently been given the title 'Nashi'. This is something also that I want to understand. I have tried looking it up and want to know what that title was, if it was real or a matter of fiction.

Thanks so mucb, Kim

Comments (4)