SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rudebekia

Harriet the Spy (and other beloved children's books)

Rudebekia
12 years ago

Perhaps I'm going through a streak of nostalgia. I've been thinking a lot lately about books that influenced me as a child. One that keeps coming to mind is "Harriet the Spy" and its sequel "The Long Secret." (I'm 54 and never saw the fairly recent movie version--I remember the original!). What was it about this book that captured my imagination? I think it was Harriet's intrepidness and determination coupled with her alienation and her generally dour mood--all of which mirrored myself at that age. That said, her world was also much different than mine--I was not from an upper class east coast family and I still don't know what egg creams are. I well remember being astonished to find mention of menstruation in "The Long Secret"--the first book I had ever read that discussed bodily realities. Funny that, when I think of these and other children's books, I rarely remember the plot but rather the vividness of the emotional appeal and the consolation of finding a character that seems like you.

Comments (5)