SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
quiltkrazy

Sarah Donati

quiltkrazy
18 years ago

Has anyone read any of her books......Into the Wilderness,Dawn on a Distant Shore, Lake in the Clouds, or Fire in the Sky? They are said to be almost as good as Diana Gabaldons Books.

Comments (9)

• pam53
    18 years ago

I have read all of them. They are good historical novels and in my opinion she is a better author than Diana G. Her books just get better and better.

• quiltkrazy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Pam I will order them today.

• ccrdmrbks
    18 years ago

quiltkrazy:
    Another historical novel author I have just found and am really enjoying is Sharon Kay Penman. You may want to try her next. She writes straight-up novels and a series of historical mysteries, all centered around the 10 and 11 hundreds in England, Wales and France.

Here is a link that might be useful: penman website

• karalk
    17 years ago

I have started Into The Wilderness, by Sara Donati. At first I thought it was a little bodice-ripper-ish, but its quite interesting in its history and how people felt towards each other at that time.
    Pam, are all of the other books in the series similar?

• smallcoffee
    17 years ago

I may be in the minority. I finished Into the Wilderness recently and found it a struggle to get thru. It felt like a modern couple grafted onto the 18th century. Usually I like nice fat books for summertime reading, but got really irritated at this one. It might just be a case of the wrong book at the wrong time.

• Kath
    17 years ago

I am a big Diana Gabaldon fan and tried Into the Wilderness when it first came out. I'm afraid I didn't like it - I felt the relationship between the main characters was forced - and haven't read any of the others.

• cindydavid4
    17 years ago

Mmmm, I am not a Gabadldon fan at all, so saying that this author of is better helps :) I love historic fiction and will check this out one, thanks for the heads up

BTW I second anything by Sharon Kay Penman.

• pam53
    17 years ago

Karalk-I do love all the books in the series and although they may have a bit of the "bodice-rippery" about them, in my view each one is been equally as good. I eagerly read the first 3 books of the Gabaldon series but once they (meaning Jaime and Claire) came to America I lost interest for some reason. Donati's next book in the series is due out soon I think.

• amykt1965_yahoo_com
    14 years ago

I have read all of the Wilderness books as well as the Outlander series. I enjoyed both but much prefer the Outlander books. They seem to have a more natural flow to them. I like that they stay with the same main characters through all the books. Sarah keeps the same characters but changes main character in the later books. The historical references in both are good but I think Diana's are much better.