Houzz Logo Print
peachbobble

Favourite Book Ever

19 years ago

Hi All

I am trying to choose a book for our next book group meeting. I am trying to find a hidden gem I have not previously thought of and hoped that you all may be able to help. A great page turner or something just really well written would be good. The Other Boleyn Girl, The Time Travellers Wife, Jane Eyre and The Shining (and many more) have all gone down well. The books don't have to be in the style of the books I have mentioned though, just anything you think is great. To help me choose I wanted to ask what is your favourite book ever?

Thanks for your help.

Peachbobble

Comments (26)

  • 19 years ago

    To Kill a Mockingbird is my favorite, today. Tomorrow may change. Great story, terrific character development, heartbreaking. Easy to read. What more do we need?

  • 19 years ago

    That's like asking us to choose our favorite from among our children-
    I couldn't possibly pick one. However, some that my book club has enjoyed and/or that have generated good discussion are:

    Charms for an Easy Life (we loved it and had a good discussion)
    The Razor's Edge ditto-a classic
    The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie (mixed opinion about the book, but GREAT discussion)
    The Elegant Gathering of White Snows and The Secret Life of Bees (most of us didn't LIKE these books-very "fem-power" and touchy-feely, which we don't usually go for-but we had a good discussion about both books)

  • Related Discussions

    My favourite books on Tropicals

    Q

    Comments (2)
    The Tropical Look by Robert Lee Riffle is superb. It is on sale at the moment here in one of the inner city Brisbane stores.
    ...See More

    Do you ever read more than one book at a time?

    Q

    Comments (30)
    carolyn, I liked your word, "tidy-minded". It doesn't really apply to me as far as my reading, but I liked the word. Read more than one? Always. Always an upstairs book, at least one downstairs book. At least two in the car, one in my purse, one paperback mystery shoved under the seat of DH's SUV (just in case... shhhh... he doesn't know it's there.) and quite often, an audio tape in my car as well... the current audio tape is a Hamish McBeth mystery, Death of a Perfect Wife. And I usually have one textbook-type non-fiction book that I read in bits and pieces, too. Right now, that book is William J. Bennett's AMERICA: The Last Best Hope, volume 1. I cannot seem to hold myself to just one book. We are going on vacation in a month or two and with the new weight restrictions on luggage, I am seriously considering paring down the clothes so I can take the same number of books. PAM
    ...See More

    Favourite audio book narrators and thoughts on audio books

    Q

    Comments (13)
    I've been reading audiobooks almost exclusively since 1982 through the US National Library Service's Talking Books program, and all of their narrators are top-notch. Very occasionally there is someone with an accent I find harder to follow but the problems created by unusual accents are never so severe that I stop reading a book. My impression of commercial audio books is that they tend to be jazzed up with (a) background music and (b) narrators who assume different "voices" for the various characters. I prefer just the book, read in a straightforward way. But I do wish sometimes that the readers would make it clear where a quotation begins and ends, maybe by saying "Quote" and "End quote."
    ...See More

    If you've ever microwaved a library book...

    Q

    Comments (22)
    I do soak and microwave my kitchen sponge for a minute to kill bacteria. It soaps up and steams in the mw and makes the interior of the mw easy to clean too. Just be very careful handling it after as it is HOT. I use tongs. But I'd never put metal into a mw. I accidentally put a dish of water in the mw not realizing it was lead crystal. It sparked and smoked and killed the mw....
    ...See More
  • 19 years ago

    I don't have a favorite, but many, and one of them is Empire of the Sun by JG Ballard. I won't claim it's the best book I've read, but I still like it very much.

  • 19 years ago

    A couple to consider - Coming up for Air by George Orwell and Cry, the Beloved Country by Alan Paton. Both wonderful books.

  • 19 years ago

    I liked Muriel Spark's book A Far Cry from Kensington much better than The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie. Her books are not long and she is a very good writer, so you might get some good conversation going.

  • 19 years ago

    If only I could pick one favourite, but I have many.

    To mention a few:

    Perfume by Patrick Süskind. Very good for a discussion.

    You might want to try something by Neil Gaiman. American Gods is a bit on the long side for a book club read, but Neverwhere and Stardust are just the right length. (The former was written at the same time as Gaiman was writing a script for a TV series of the same story, and the latter has been filmed and premieres in the USA in August).

  • 19 years ago

    re: Miss Jean Brodie: We are all mothers with children in school, from kindergarten to college age, so had a lively discussion about the different influences children encounter, and how to manage that the parent's values get a hearing as children grow.

  • 19 years ago

    I could NEVER pick a favorite but I do think too few younger readers have read Mockingbird. Invisible Man is also not being read anymore and is a wonderful book.

  • 19 years ago

    I remember studying The Riders by Tim Winton at university, and we had some fantastic debate in our tutorial.

  • 19 years ago

    I imagine that many readers of this forum know that my favorite book is Kristin Lavransdatter. BUT, for a reading group, a book that I really love and would work is Peace Like a River, by Leif ..... (sorry, I can't think of his last name, and I'm not at home.)

  • 19 years ago

    Like many of you, I could never pick just one favorite. But I will toss out a few that I read over and over again:

    "Peace Like a River" by Leif Enger
    "Giants in the Earth" by O.E. Rolvaag (Norwegian emmigrants in the mid-western US)
    "Too Late the Phalarope" by Alan Paton (apartheid in S. Africa)
    "My Antonia" by Willa Cather (pioneers in the Western US)
    "I Capture the Castle" by Dodie Smith
    "The Go-Between" by Hartley (we had a wonderful discussion on this here at RP some years ago)
    and I second "Prime of Miss Jean Brodie"

  • 19 years ago


    Peace Like a River is way up there as one of my favorites. Maybe just second to To Kill a Mockingbird.
    Isn't it amazing how Lee managed to create such a character as Boo Radley who is seen only once and has no dialogue? Yet, his presence is strongly felt as he experiences a lost childhood through the children he watches and protects. And Atticus is unforgettable as the epitome of strength and honor.

  • 19 years ago

    We tried a discussion here of Invisible Man about 3 years ago and it didn't go over well. I think Russ was the only person to finish it. I've always intended to go back to it, even bought a Louis Armstrong collection with "Black and Blue" on it for ambiance. Still cannot make myself pick it up again.

  • 19 years ago

    Several years ago there was a national One Book, One Community movement-the libraries in my local three county area have done it now for several years, and Mockingbird was one of the first titles. I also remember Rocket Man, The White, and Kite Runner. They were all well-received and sparked good discussions.

  • 19 years ago

    Ishiguro's Never Let Me Go
    Rushdie's Midnight's Children is a gold mine for a book discussion :)

  • 19 years ago

    Here are a few that come to mind for me that are a bit off the beaten path but that I found quite enjoyable:

    Little, Big, John Crowley
    Plowing the Dark, Richard Powers
    The History of the World in 10 1/2 Chapters, Julian Barnes
    The Street, Anne Petry
    Les Liaisons Dangereuses (aka Dangerous Liasons) Calderon de Laclos
    Evelina, Fanny Burney

  • 19 years ago

    The Thornbirds, is one i'll never forget~actually read it twice. ;o)

    patty_cakes

  • 19 years ago

    Hello Peach,

    I am not sure if you want our favorite books or our favorite book club books. For me, the lists are vastly different.

    MY favorite books tend to be older:
    New Grub Street - George Gissing
    David Copperfield - Charles Dickens
    The Count of Monte Cristo - Alexandre Dumas
    L'Assomoir - Emile Zola
    Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen

    However, the books that led to the best discussions at my book club were:

    The DaVinci Code - Dan Brown - this led to a long
    discussion about the power that religion has in every
    day life. The discussion was awesome.
    Princess - Jean Sasson
    The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini
    Ella Minnow Pea - Mark Dunn
    My Sister's Keeper - Jody Piccoult - I do not generally care for her books, but the make-up of my group (some cancer docs and lawyers) made the discussion amazing.
    Better OFF: two people, one year, zero watts - Eric Brende
    Under the Banner of Heaven - Jon Krakauer - probably the best book we've read and discussed in terms of depth of conversation and learning.
    The Book Thief - Markus Zusak - this book was great, but our discussion fell a bit flat as we all had very similar opinions. But definitely worth reading!

    PAM

  • 19 years ago

    The only way I can list my favorite book ever is to list the books that I have reread over and over again:

    >Once and Future King by TH White

    >Discworld series by TErry Pratchett

    >The Good Omen By Neil Gaiman

    >Little Women

    >Tale of Two Cities

    >Hamlet

    Best book club reads, as far as discussions go, these come to mind:

    >Sunflower by Simon Wisenthal

    >Kite Runner

    >Undaunted Courage Steven Ambrose

    >Birds without wings

  • 19 years ago

    Wow. Thanks everyone. There is certainly a lot to think about there. Choosing book group books is always tough for me as there are so many to choose from. At our book group we take turns to host the meetings at our own home and then the person that hosts gets to choose the next book. There is no group concensus on the books we read. The person that hosts chooses and that is that, so I try to put a bit of thought in as the others don't really get a choice when it is your turn. It is great for choosing more unusual books that the others wouldn't ordinarily choose.

    A number of titles seem to keep coming up like 'Peace Like A River', 'To Kill A Mockingbird', 'The Prime Of Miss Jean Brodie' and 'Invisible Man'. Certainly 'The Prime Of Miss Jean Brodie' would be a classic choice for us as we are based in Edinburgh. However I think that some of the other women at our book group have read that already and we try to avoid books we know others have read. However I have not read it and will try to read it some time. I had not considered 'Peace Like A River' before so that is a great find. Thanks. The other two look great too actually. So many books, so little time!!

    There are a couple there that I have considered previously to this discussion and may choose like 'Ella Minnow Pea' and 'I Capture The Castle'. However there are some that I have not heard of and I am going to have to look them up to see if I like the look of them. For example I know very little about 'Book Thief' and many of the books posted by 'wrmjr'. Are they good?

    Thanks

  • 19 years ago

    My group had a very satisfying discussion after reading Pearl Buck's The Good Earth. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith is, at some level, I Capture the Castle moved to America. My club read both, back to back, and enjoyed both but I think had more to discuss with ATGIB.

    Not to hijack this thread, but thank you to all who have mentioned Peace Like a River. I read it thanks to the recommendations on this forum and found it to be original and absolutely terrific and I intend to propose it to my bookclub.

  • 19 years ago

    I have just looked up books suggested by many of you. In particular these books suggested by
    wrmjr seem to be original books that I have not heard of before. I happen to harbour a great love for fantasy and science fiction so these were right up my street. Thanks for the original suggestions. I particularly like the look of: Little, Big: John Crowley, Plowing the Dark: Richard Powers, The History of the World in 10 1/2 Chapters: Julian Barnes and Evelina: Fanny Burney

    Thanks

  • 19 years ago

    I'd second A History of the World in 10½ Chapters - it's a brilliant book. A discussion might be tricky, however, as the book is actually ten interconnected short stories (plus a digression on the meaning of love).

  • 19 years ago

    Ricard Powers is wonderful; my personal favorite is The Time of our Singing. That made a wonderful discussion book for a online bookgroup I'm on. I am not sure it would be a good one for an hour group tho - its a book with much to discuss and I suspect a RL group would barely touch the surface. But his others might be. I discovered that Julian Barnes book by chance years ago - not sure its a discussion book but I loved it. My fav of his is ENgland,England which your crowd might appreciate (yes I know you are in Scotland :)

    Many here loved Book Theif. Its narrative structure is a bit out of the ordinary and may put off people. But a open minded reader should be able to get passed that. Don't be put off with the Young Adult marketing. Its easily an adult book.

    Here is a link that might be useful: The Book Theif

  • 19 years ago

    I'm glad you are intrigued by some of my choices. As I said, I was trying to list some a bit different. I can see the Barnes being a bit tricky for some groups to discuss; however, almost everyone will react to at least 1 of the 10 1/2 chapters, so the discussion isn't likely to be a dud. Little, Big could be tricky to get unless it has recently been republished. I think it's a wonderful book, but if you have people who aren't much into fantasy (I don't mean the dragons and sword type), then they may not get it.

    Good luck! Russ

  • 19 years ago

    A history of the world in 10.5 chapters was actually one of the books that I was seriously considering choosing along with Peace like a river. It is interesting to hear you guys say that it is not a discussion book really, as it sound like there may be a lot to discuss.

    I quite like to choose unusual books as many of our members tend to like fairly run of the mill books. When I chose The Shining it went down like a lead balloon. However when they actually read the thing they loved it. I think they were just scared of the idea of reading horror. I think they have a similar fear of sci-fi although they thought The Time Machine was quite good. I prefer to choose books that will encourage novices to the genre to read more rather than to pick something that is full on that may scare them off. I am not sure how well Little, Big would go down.