SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
twobigdogs_gw

OT: Tea

twobigdogs
16 years ago

Hi friends,

In this morning's paper there was a small bit about tea and its health benefits. The articles said the health benefits in tea were amazing, ranging from catechins which appear to inhibit the growth of cancer cells to preventing the build-up of Alzheimer's linked plaque in the brain. But the article went on to say that the addition of milk to tea greatly decreased the benefits as it appears that the proteins in the milk interact iwth the tea and negate some of the benefits.

This got me to thinking... so many of us speak of having a cup of tea with our books. Do you drink tea? What kind of tea? Green? Black? Herbal? White? Hot or iced? With milk or sugar or both? How many cups a day?

Personally, my mantra is "coffee till lunch, tea till dinner" which usually results in three to five cups of coffee (with milk) and five or more cups of tea - all types of tea, the strong teas get sugar, the others I drink straight.

PAM

Comments (62)

• disputantum
    16 years ago

"Tisane" is the word you all are looking for. I was going to write that tea is an herb too, but the COED says an herb is a nonwoody plant.

In any case, I almost never drink hot tea, preferring iced, unsweetened and unlemoned. But I started drinking iced coffeeÂblack and no sugarÂlast summer when it was so hot and now I rarely drink tea in any preparation.

• disputantum
    16 years ago

I just realized that definition of "herb" would exclude lime (Tilia not Citrus) blossom also.

• Related Discussions

wanted: Vanilla Planifolia have Tea Sinensis

Q

Comments (1)
    Hi! I'm sorry that I don't have a vanilla orchid (sounds delicious), but if you have any tea plants to spare, can we work something out? Thanks for your consideration. Maureen
    ...See More

OT'ish - Does anyone use Compost Teas?

Q

Comments (26)
    Dear Marianne, There are many different types of compost teas out there. Some are going to be much more beneficial than others, and some have the potential to even do damage to your plants and garden, based on the types of organisms you are selecting for. This is why oxygen plays an important role in making compost tea. Most beneficial organisms prefer aerobic conditions, while most harmful organisms (think of salmonella, e. coli., etc...) prefer anaerobic or low oxygen conditions. Have you ever reached into compacted soil and noticed it had a horrible smell? This is from the anaerobic organisms that are thriving. It's the same way with compost tea. One of the first rules, if you're not going to do testing in a lab, is to make sure that your final tea smells earthy or has no smell at all. If it stinks....don't use it! As for the recommendations I've seen on this thread. Some of the teas, for example the alfalfa tea, select primarily for protozoa. You will get bacteria and protozoa, but you won't get the fungi. Fungi is particularly important because it provides much of the disease suppressive qualities. There's a lot to learn on compost tea, feel free to email me with questions, but the best starting points I believe are "Teaming with Microbes" by Jeff Lowenfels, and Soilfoodweb.com, I'll include the link to the appropriate spot on their website below. Good luck!!! Here is a link that might be useful: All about the Soil Food Web
    ...See More

OT Dorothy...Brain teaser 2

Q

Comments (17)
    LOL Both of you. I'm still trying to figure out "ALL THE CLUES" LOL I have no idea the what any of the answers to any of the clues are, Oh one was "Heart." Still trying. Dorothy
    ...See More

Not liking cats?

Q

Comments (30)
    I have never really understood the whole cats-are-dirty and they walk all over everything argument. I don't know about you, but we eat off of plates on the dining room table. We do not eat directly off the table. So even if by some chance some microscopic fecal matter got onto the table, it wouldn't contaminate the food. Not to mention I regularly wipe the table down. My cats can go everywhere they want except the counters - there are just too many things to get into up there. I also don't understand the whole cat hair thing...I mean, they're animals, they shed hair. It can be annoying, but by no means do I think it's gross. We as humans shed pounds of dead skin cells every year that collects in sofas and beds. But we don't see them so it's different from cat or dog hair. Hair doesn't disgust me but it is a nuisance. And well taken-care of, non-abused cats that have been spayed or neutered *generally* don't spray in the house. Usually it is due to a behavioral or physical issue, both of which can almost always be solved. Sometimes it happens in old age but I would see it as no reason to get rid of an animal...that's like getting rid of my partner if he starts puking all over the house from cancer or something. As far as cat behavior, they are all so different, it's just hilarious! Our one cat Baloney, he's kinda a "special kitty", if you know what I mean. But he's loving and cuddly and that's all I can ask. Our other kitty (his name is Fatty) is a big Maine Coon, and he's goofy and smart as can be. He has chosen me as his best friend and he follows me around, curls up next to me (rarely on me though as Maine Coons are known to sit near but not on people), and he's just the goofiest thing ever. He doesn't really think too much of my partner. He tolerates him, and asks to be petted every once in a while, but the cat sees him as more of a fixture than anything. My partner is not a "cat person" and he doesn't have a particular affinity for cats so he doesn't really know how to react to Fatty's antics and personality. A few times my partner has went to pet Fatty and he 'scratched' my partner...knowing my kitty, I know that he was just trying to play and his claws weren't out or anything. He did it to me today...I walked by his little tree and he stuck his giant paws out to grab my shirt and play. My partner just doesn't get it. He's much more of a dog person. I love our dogs but I have a special bond with my kitties, especially Fatty. He's my little soul mate. I'm so glad I have them. My partner tolerates them. HE likes Baloney but Fatty he's indifferent towards.
    ...See More
  • annpan
    16 years ago

Has anyone tried Russian Caravan Tea? This is my afternoon drink of choice. As I make it with a tea-bag for convenience the milk goes in after I have removed the bag but if made with leaves in a pot, pre-warmed of course, I pour milk into a cup first. The Mitfords got that wrong, didn't they? Milk or pouring cream was always put in first because of the delicacy of early porcelain cups and hot liquid poured in first could have cracked them.

• mariannese
    16 years ago

I like most black teas with Darjeeling my favourite, and also Formosa Oolong which is halfway between black and green tea. I can't stand pure green tea and any flavoured tea. I read once that the Prince of Wales drinks Lapsang Souchong in the morning. To my taste that would equal starting the day with a large Laphroig whisky which I can't stand either. I think he pays a heavy price to be posh.

I have five teapots, two of them American, two English and one Japanese, a dozen different teacups for solitary enjoyment, and half a dozen of the same kind for company. I can't drink tea in a coffee mug.

• twobigdogs
    Original Author
    16 years ago

veer, I completely agree with you that we cannot agree with everything we read about nutrition, or any other topic for that matter. But I am always interested in reading these findings because they provide clues and hints to what is going on in terms of food quality. I am also of the "moderation" camp in that I know, for example, that I shall never give up chocolate so I simply must make it a moderate part of my existence.

Someday, someday, I will have the time to use cup and saucer for tea everyday and not the simply grab the nearest clean vessel that holds hot beverages!

PAM

• bookmom41
    16 years ago

Mr bookmom would probably love to start the day with a large Laphroig, single malt lover that he is... but since that isn't allowed, he drinks massive amounts of strong black coffee instead. My day usually gets started with an oversized Polish pottery mug of Twining's Irish breakfast tea (brewed from a bag) with milk. I'll drink my tea, or when I have coffee (with milk or cream), from a cup, glass or mug. What I cannot do is drink a hot drink from styrofoam, plastic or paper and have to go without if china, pottery or glass is unavailable. Unlike some of you, and my DH, I am very sensitive to caffeine and my early morning cup of tea or coffee is my only caffeine for the day. In the hot months, I make decaf iced tea, brewed with mint and sweetened and drink alot of water--plain, unflavored water.

• netla
    16 years ago

Another tea drinker here.

I go through phases with tea. Right now, it's strong bag tea with plenty of milk and sugar. Very warming on a cold morning and gives me a nice little sugar/caffeine kick to start the day. When summer arrives, I will switch to loose leaf Darjeeling or Oolong with a little sugar and a dash of lemon. I also like tisanes. I love chai but make it far too seldom.

I have tried green tea, but to me it tastes like grass. I like the smell but not the taste.

• Kath
    16 years ago

I have always been a coffee drinker, but it's not essential for me to get going in the morning. If I have ever had a stomach upset, I go off coffee, and have always thought the idea of tea was nice, but didn't like it when I tried it. I finally had the idea of trying the tea without milk, and find I like it that way.

If I have time in the morning I have a cup of Green tea with a very subtle citrus flavour added. After our evening meal my DH makes me a coffee from the espresso machine, and I really enjoy it, but that is all I drink during the week. I have an extra cup or two on the weekend.
    The problem I have had lately is with ordering a coffee when out. I always thought that a 'flat white' was a black coffee with milk in it, but more and more I was getting a milky brew much closer to a latte. So I ordered a black coffee with milk in it and was given an espresso shot! It took quite a lot of explaining to get the long black with milk on the side I should apparently have ordered!

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    16 years ago

I drink strong black tea for breakfast, with cream, and usually in the afternoon have a cup of Gen Mai Cha, a smoky green tea, that is really rich and delicious. I get my teas mailorder from Upton Tea Imports. Their catalog has an enormous number of teas, some very rare and expensive, but most quite reasonable. All teas are loose, and you can order a sample for $1.00, though samples for the very rare teas are a little more.

• ccrdmrbks
    16 years ago

I am lucky enough to have not one, but two shops that specialize in teas within a few minutes drive. I have spent quite a few enjoyable visits asking questions and trying teas.
    Rosefolly-Assam is a region of India-as is Darjeeling-the tea is named after its growing region. Darjeeling is high up in the hills, and the tea is a very light, smooth taste. Assam is in the lowlands, and the taste is more pungent. If Darjeeling is the champagne of teas, then Assam is the whiskey. Assam teas are used in many of the Breakfast blends-and Twinings sells an Assam. My two absolute favorites are Brodie's Scottish Breakfast and Scottish Teatime teas. They are both Assam-Kenyan blends.
    Since I carry tea around with me just about everywhere, a cup and saucer would drive me mad-mugs or thermos cups-but no one drinks coffee here so the mugs remain unsullied by those nearly permanent coffee oils. DD's BF does drink coffee when he visits-but he has a dedicated mug that is only for him!

• pam53
    16 years ago

I am a coffee drinker but enjoy the occassional cup of tea. Lately I've been drinking red tea-I think it's called roobio? My DD likes it-I'll also sip an herbal "tea" such as chamomile or lemon in the evening if my tummy needs settling or if I'm just under the weather.
    >I don't like iced tea or iced coffee and am one of those people who enjoy my coffee even in the heat of summer.
    >I haven't taken a poll but have several teas and some nice teapots. When we entertain I find that more people seem to enjoy a cup of tea than coffee.
    >Oh, milk and no sugar in both my tea and coffee.

• cindydavid4
    16 years ago

Funny, I'm the same way with hot tea - I really need to have a cup of it in the morning, no matter how hot it is outside. It just gets me started. After that tho, its iced all the way.

• socks
    16 years ago

Anyone ever try the tea which Mme Ramotswe drinks (#1 Ladies Detective Agency)? I found some in the market and tried it. Didn't like it, but as I remember her partner did not like it either. Cannot remember the name of it (or her partner!).

I like almost any tea, though. Bigelow has a pomegranite one out now which is a nice change. Sometimes I make tea from the thyme which is in my spice cupboard. Ginger tea is good too if you have a cold, just don't make it too strong.

• bookmom41
    16 years ago

socks, I've been curious about the bush tea mentioned in those books. Do you know what it is, exactly, and what did it taste like? Mma Makutsi was her friend, by the way.

• norcal_at_heart
    16 years ago

I have been drinking tea since I was little.It was always a treat. I would go over to my friend's house, because his mom always let us have tea on her fine china and not hover over us. Now I realize that she was probably worried to death. But it was nursery tea-not too strong, milk and sugar-until I was 11 or so. Now, though, I have to drink Twining's English Breakfast because I can't abide anything else.
    My mom is horrible about remembering her tea; she'll make tea, then forget to drink it, or she'll realize that it's cold, put it in the microwave and forget all about it until dinnertime. I've given up on her ever remembering to drink her tea while it's hot.

Am I the only one who has to be drinking tea while reading Jane Austen? I've found that I can't get anywhere in her books unless I have a cup of tea in my reach. Maybe it's just an idiosyncrasy.

• Chris_in_the_Valley
    16 years ago

Socks, one of my reading groups meets in the afternoon and does Tea. The month we read The #1 Ladies Detective Agency our hostess tracked down the bush tea mentioned and we all loved it. Of course, our hostess may have just told us it was the right tea. /-)

• veer
    16 years ago

See the meaning of bush tea below.

Interesting to hear you Americans saying 'hot tea' because I first thought you just meant tea that was very hot as opposed to lukewarm. Now I realise it is the opposite of 'iced-tea'.
    In hot countries where the people do not pray before the great white idol Frigidaire, tea is taken as hot as possible as it cools you down quicker and is considered more refreshing.
    Mary thank you for your explanation of why coffee drinking was not encouraged in childhood.
    Cindy, if US parents believe that coffee drinking will turn their children into caffeine addicts why do they allow them to drink so many cola-type drinks?

Here is a link that might be useful: Bush Tea

• ccrdmrbks
    16 years ago

Vee-as Cindy and I both mentioned, this generation is the first that has been allowed to drink so much soda so young-and now the pendulum swing is coming the other way, as research has shown that sodas promote childhood obesity (can't believe they needed to study that one) and that this generation is the first one to have less calcium stored in their bones at a younger age-duh again-less milk, less calcium! Their teeth are softer, too. Headline the other night on the news..."This generation will be the first generation to live shorter, less healthy lives than their parents." Alarmist, but between the nutritional missteps, change of lifestyle leading to more passive activities, and environmental issues, there are concerns.

• bookmom41
    16 years ago

Vee, I remember hearing that a hot drink in hot weather cools one down--seems counterintuitive, doesn't it? I also heard "coffee stunts your growth" as a child from one grandmother, while the other would serve me a cup, albeit small and milky.
    As a parent now, I have always strictly limited my own (now) preteenagers' consumption of sugary and caffeinated drinks for several reasons, including studies showing that heavy consumption of caffeinated drinks reduces bone density, the sugar is bad for teeth and drinking sugary/caffeinated drinks replaces healthier drinks like milk, water and some juice. And honestly, my children don't need the, uh, "energizing" effect of caffeine... Probably parents who allow lots of soda in a child's diet could care less if the child switched to coffee as I think the stigma of a child drinking coffee is pretty reduced. I was always amazed when I did lunch duty at school and children in elementary school would unpack a can of soda! Same in middle school. Lest I sound like a nutritional grinch, my children do get soda with pizza once a week at home and they generally order soda or something like lemonade when we are eat out, love the coffee/smoothie things as a treat at places like Panera and my daughter will make a VERY sugary cup of coffee on the weekends and waste most of it. And, to bring this back to books, anyone remember Francie in A Tree Grows in Brooklyn being allowed to make a cup of coffee and then pour most of it down the drain? Her mother felt this little luxury helped alleviate the sting of poverty.

• twobigdogs
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The new pomogranite flavor is delicious, and the blueberry is even better. I love them. But I am now accumulating teas like I accumulate books. Fully one shelf of my pantry is dedicated (unintentionally) to teas. Do teas go bad?

Calling herbal teas "infusions" is just not going to happen for me. I much prefer the word "tea". "Infusion" sounds too much like a medical proceedure I'd prefer to avoid.

PAM

• ccrdmrbks
    16 years ago

Tea will eventually go stale, and taste dusty-keeping it DRY in a dark, cool place in an airtight container will lengthen its life. If it gets damp, even through humidity, it can mildrew-I speak from disgusting experience. Fuzzy white tea is not a pleasant discovery!

• ccrdmrbks
    16 years ago

DS discovered that replacing his soda and pink lemonade with water made a marked improvement in his adolescent complexion-he doesn't eat chocolate or much fried food, the two usual "culprits" and is very "clean" (a shower monster) so we finally narrowed it down to sugary drinks-and lo and behold! Now he almost exclusively drinks water with lemon. Unfortunately, milk has not been a favorite ever-but he is 6'2" so at least he grew!

• sheriz6
    16 years ago

PAM, I don't like the term infusion either, but it was fresh in my mind from that library tea lecture ... I didn't mean to come across sounding superior or official about it *G*.

Regarding iced tea, I find that in my area when you order it in a restaurant, the default iced tea is unsweetened with lemon (which is the way I like it). You can also choose iced tea flavored with raspberry or peach and it tends to be very sweet. When I go to NC to see my sister, it's all "sweet tea" and you have to specify if you want it any other way. I was recently introduced to Snapple Lime Green Iced Tea, which I like a lot. Bring on the antioxidants!

I've been waging battle against soda in the house for quite some time, since the DH likes it. We have a soda-only-on-weekends rule for the kids, and NO caffeine. My DS likes to have a milky cup of decaf coffee whenever I make it, but my DD won't touch hot tea or coffee. Both kids are looking forward to pink lemonade season.

• Chris_in_the_Valley
    16 years ago

My mom watered down colas before she let us drink them. My sisters both restrict colas for their kids to the non-caffeine types. Of course, one of those sisters mainlines Mountain Dew which is about as caffeinated as they get.

My friends have started serving up iced raspberry tea with lunch this past year. Another food fad?

• disputantum
    16 years ago

For Mariannese: Whiskey before Breakfast.

For UKians: Long Island Iced Tea

For those who ignored my post above: Tisane. See the section on medicinal concerns.

• bookmom41
    16 years ago

A lot of casual restaurants serve raspberry iced tea, too. I've no doubt that as soon as my children leave my clutches they will mainline soda and any other junk Mom currently restricts. Hopefully, the novelty will wear off.

Sheri, I grew up in PA where restaurant tea comes unsweetened. Over the weekend,we were visiting my mother-in-law who lives south of Roanoke and boy, that sweet tea sure was sweet!

cc, I had a neighbor with seven children who told me that it is impossible to get a child into the bathroom to take care of hygiene issues until said child becomes aware of the opposite sex and then said child won't leave the bathroom. We are finding that to be true with our middle schooler and am always worried she is going to run the well dry!

• woodnymph2_gw
    16 years ago

Perhaps because I don't have a "sweet tooth", I never have acquired a liking for the old southern favorite, "sweet tea." (it's just too sweet for my taste).

However, I've noticed also that both raspberry and peach tea are becoming popular in local restaurants. I quite liked both.

Years ago,in the US, there used to be a fad called "Russian tea", which was made with orange and lemon and spices.

I completely agree that drinking hot tea in 90 + temps will cool you off much faster, because you sweat. (Likewise, eating spicey Indian foods in summer). (Think of the British in colonial India).

• ccrdmrbks
    16 years ago

First time I met DH's family, we were visiting from college, and I was offered "iced tea"-being a bit nervous, I took a huge gulp-of extraordinarily sweet mint "tea"-made from the mint in Grandmother's herb patch. I managed to swallow it without spitting it out all over everyone-but then I put the glass down and wandered away. That was 33 years ago-and the memory still horrifies!
    McD is now advertising "sweet tea"-ugh. I order a hot tea and a large cup of ice. They looked at me strangely the first couple times through the drive-through, but now they must recognize my voice or something. ;-)

• donnamira
    16 years ago

Cece, IIRC you're in the DC area, as am I. Where are the tea shops you mention? I used to go to one in White Flint and one down on Connecticut near the Cheshire Cat bookstore and Hugo's market, but I think they both closed. I'm only about 10 minutes from the Wegman's in Fairfax, which has a good selection of loose tea in bins, but I wouldn't mind patronizing a real tea shop again.

Mango iced tea was quite popular for a while - it's a good combination - less tart then lemon so no sugar needed. I was served a cloyingly sweet concoction when I ordered iced tea in South Carolina, but the restaurant replaced it with no fuss.

• ccrdmrbks
    16 years ago

Sorry-I'm not in the DC area-DD lives near Frederick and I have joined her in some jaunts into DC on the train-but for theater, etc., she doesn't drink tea! I am in PA Dutch country.

• pam53
    16 years ago

I agree re hot tea (or coffee) on a hot day. I can only drink "homemade" iced tea-no sweet flavorings of any kind.
    I do have a soda problem (I call it pop) but only drink diet pepsi-one can per day. Other than water that's it- aside from quite large quantities of coffee and the very rare tea.

• twobigdogs
    Original Author
    16 years ago

SheriZ6, oh no, you didn't sound superior in your comments about "infusion" and I didn't mean to sound like I was complaining. I just don't like the word "infusion". In conjurs up medical experiments a la Frnakenstein in my brain whereas "herbal" sounds so clean and natural and healthy.

It was 80 degrees yesterday and I was the only one not complaining about the heat and humidity at my daughter's softball game. Could it be because I was drinking a nice hot cup of chamomile?

PAM

• ccrdmrbks
    16 years ago

I understand the premise-hot beverage or spicy food makes you sweat, thus supposedly feeling cooler-but I hate feeling all sweaty and sticky-my mother taught us when we were young to run cold water on our wrists, or to put a cool cloth on the back of our neck....to "cool the blood."

• mariannese
    16 years ago

Thank you for the song, disputantum!

I have drunk hot sweet milky tea in Sri Lanka and the Sudan and can swear to the cooling effect in very hot weather (116F one memorable day in Khartoum). In the Sudan they make tea like soup, boiling water, milk, sugar and tea together in a pot for a good while. Awful taste but a real pick-me-up.

• frances_md
    16 years ago

I so don't fit in here! I drink Diet Pepsi all day long and as much water as I can get down. I've never even taken a sip of coffee but do occasionally drink unsweetened iced tea when there is nothing else available.

As a kid I was only allowed two Pepsis a week so when I left home I decided I would never again suffer from a lack of Pepsi but did switch about 20 years ago to Diet Pepsi.

• ccrdmrbks
    16 years ago

aaahhh, Mother's Day. A very large mug of tea, a very funny book, a down comforter (it's a chilly morning here after the rain went through), a cushy chair on the deck (hence the need for the comforter) and silence! DS is sound asleep-last night was Prom and he rolled in around 5:30 a.m. and right to bed. DH is off to a baseball game. Alone at last! Lovely, lovely, tea and book filled day!
    Be back MUCH later!

• cindydavid4
    16 years ago

Frances, while I like tea, I find that diet Pepsi quenches my thirst more, and have been known to go through a 64 oz bottle a day. But now - I do have bone loss based on the last bone scan. Some of that is from arthritis, but my dr says its also the Pepsi - caffiene and carbonation affect bones. So I am trying to drink only non caffienated, and trying to keep it to two cans a day. And while I really don't like drinking water, I am making more of an effort to do so (fortunately they have these flavored waters now with berry and lemon which makes it taste better)

• twobigdogs
    Original Author
    16 years ago

cece,

Your words described my day... almost. Everyone was home here, but they gave me the entire day off. So with a book in one hand, tea in the other, I too, settled in for a lovely, albeit chilly, day.

Happy Mother's Day to all RP moms.

PAM

• ccrdmrbks
    16 years ago

Well, DD popped in from Maryland as a surprise this afternoon-but that was lovely too! We sat and read together for a while, then out to dinner-DS surfaced when DD walked in, and DH came home early from the game-now she is on her way home and I am back to my book and tea!

• teacats
    16 years ago

I drink hot tea all day (hardly a surprise there LOL!!) -- only a cup of coffee in the morning about 10 am. My grandma (my family are Scots from Ayrshire) always let me have tea with lots of fresh milk and sugar.

I use a Russell Hobbes electric kettle (the one that is cordless and heats up on its stand) -- and have a collection of very old teapots from the 40s-50s. The teapots come with their own "tin" or aluminium covers (that are lined with felt) to keep them warm. Simply ideal! Don't forget to heat the pot slightly first before brewing tea!

Kinds of tea -- blended basic Tetleys. (I really miss Marks & Spencers) Or English Breakfast, Irish Breakfast or Scottish breakfast. Skim milk and two packets of splenda. Milk and sweetener in the cup FIRST -- and then the tea.

For anyone near the Dallas-Forth Worth area -- try The British Emporium in Grapevine. Amazing selection of teas -- and goodies -- and VERY nice people too!

Also -- for my reading -- try Laura Childs "Tea Shop Mystery" series. Set in a tea shop in Charleston, South Carolina -- each book has a wealth of tea information -- and even recipes noted at the back of the books.

Isn't it amazing how many tea places there are now??

• woodnymph2_gw
    16 years ago

I only know of 2 tea houses in my area. Both claim to be English style and both offer the triple-tier china "trays" loaded with cucumber and watercress sandwiches and dainty scones. Both are expensive!

As an aside, I can never drink beverages from styrofoam or paper cups. I will only drink tea or coffee from glass or china vessels. And I detest the American coffee mug! I want my tea or coffee in a proper china cup with saucer, where I can rest my spoon. Anything else seems uncouth! ;-)

• rosefolly
    16 years ago

Actually you really don't want to drink tea or any hot beverages from styrofoam cups. Apparently the styrene molecule can migrate into the beverage in the presence of heat or acid (tea with lemon?) and be absorbed by the body. Health problems have not yet been proven, but styrene is said to be one of the chemicals that immitate estrogen in the body. I try to avoid styrofoam with any food products. You may not like paper cups, but I believe they are at least safe.

Besides all this, tea and coffee in styrofoam taste of chemicals. Ick.

Rosefolly

• veer
    16 years ago

Paula, interesting what you say about styrofoam cups. Over here we call it polystyrene, 'styrofoam' being the trade name taken from the Dow Chemical Co.
    I asked the DH, a bio-chemist, about it and he says that it could prove a problem as when styrene is heated it breaks down into its component molecules; little heat is required for this to happen. It was a classic chemistry experiment carried out using a 'fume cupboard'. John says think of the smell you get when plastic is burnt.
    There is also the question of the possible effect of freon gas a CFC, being used to turn the solid polystyrene into 'styrofoam'.

Mary, when you come to visit I promise there will be no plastic or even earthenware. Our daughter was recently given a set of Wedgwood china (thrown out can you believe by a neighbour with little sense). It is sitting boxed up in her bedroom and I'm sure we could 'borrow' it!
    There were a couple of side plates missing and I casually thought I would replace them . . . until I saw the price; I came over all weak at the knees :-)

• ccrdmrbks
    16 years ago

We also learned that it isn't a good idea to freeze bottled water, something we have done for years-apparently the change of state to solid, then liquid, and the cold, allows the plastic to leach something awful into the water. Darn-frozen water bottles were so perfect for keeping other things cool, and then, after a long day of sports, cold water for drinking on the way home from tourneys.

• sheriz6
    16 years ago

Same thing with microwaves -- I won't microwave anything in its plastic packaging or covered with plastic wrap, everything goes into glass containers with a lid. Works just as well and I don't have to worry about whatever is leeching out of the plastic.

• carolyn_ky
    16 years ago

Sheriz6, my daughter the nurse said that the plastic wrap itself dissolves particles into the food and is ingested but is not digested. Yuk! I use glass in the microwave, too.

• dormilona
    16 years ago

Back to the original post...I drink tons of tea (English Breakfast or Irish Breakfast) with vanilla soy milk. Wonder if that ramps up or diminishes the benefits of the tea....

I've never heard of Russian Caravan Tea, but I would drink that for the name alone....

• ccrdmrbks
    16 years ago

I remember reading, in a book I think about Russian ballerinas, about Russian tea-served in glass cups held in beautiful silver holders (although as silver conducts heat, I wonder if it really was SILVER) and served with a spoonful of jam, no sugar or milk.

• smallcoffee
    16 years ago

My grandmother and great-aunt are the ones who got me started on tea at about 8 years-old. Then I drank it with plenty of milk and sugar. Now I like strong black tea, usually supermarket, and sometimes English Breakfast for a treat with a little skim milk. I also like Chai with milk and sugar, and also drink herbal teas occasionally. It's significant that these two women are also the ones who got me hooked on reading! I'll have to try it with the vanilla soy. That does sound healthier!

• annpan
    16 years ago

Dormilona: Twinings make Russian Caravan Tea amongst other suppliers. Theirs comes in loose leaf or bags. It is a strong China tea as I understand and was named because of the route the tea was taken along the Silk Road. I bought a different brand in the UK as I had some Chinese friends visiting and quite enjoyed it myself. I can only access Twinings here in Australia but it has a similar taste.