SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
veer_gw

OT. The North Wind Doth Blow

veer
11 years ago

. . . or, more accurately, the North East wind, which has been blowing for several weeks and promises to bring more sub-zero temps, snow with blizzards and/or flooding depending on how far South in the UK one lives.
Has Spring sprung (or are Autumn leaves falling in S latitudes) in your necks of the wood?
I imagine many of you live in city/suburban areas, but we are in the country and our local farmers, despite having a reputation for looking on the dark side, are really suffering from some grim weather. After the wettest year since ??? in 2012, it is now the coldest March for 50 years. Many of last years crops produced a low yield, the land was too wet to sow in the Autumn and is still too wet and cold for 'Spring planting'. In Scotland and the North of England and Wales many thousands of new-born lambs are being lost to hypothermia and farmers cannot reach their stock to feed them.
Even at a very domestic level the DH has been unable to prepare the veggie plot for the 'gardening season' and the price of our poultry feed has more than doubled . . . to say nothing of our scarily high electricity and heating oil bills. As I write this I am clad in thermal underwear, three layers with long sleeves, thick socks, fur lined slippers and cannot sit for long before needing to get up and move about.
I keep a thermometer in the hall and with the heating on it still doesn't get above the low 50'sF.
But, we put up with this when I was a child and the only warmth was a coal fire in the living room, so perhaps we are getting soft. I am reminded of one of those 'Little House . . books where the farming family in up state NY had to get up in the middle of the night to move the cattle about to stop them freezing to death.
Tell me it is warm and sunny where you live, then please send us a few rays.

Here is a link that might be useful: BBC from Arran W Scotland

Comments (32)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!