SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
countrybump_gw

Crafty Rats

16 years ago

We have a garden approx 0.2 acre, half lawn, half down to vegetables, etc. We've always had a birdseed feeder and a peanut wiremesh hanger, but only one of each, plus a birdtable approx 4.5 feet high (120+ cm).

Two years ago we had a few rats, but managed to get rid of them with standard rat bait. This year, however, the wretched things are everywhere; seemingly in our neighbours' gardens as well as our own. I've been putting down bait sachets for well over two weeks now, but have recently discovered that the rats have been collecting them up and carting them away. I actually saw one in the act of carrying a sachet, away under a fuschia bush; the remains of another four or five sachets were found tonight under a sedum plant/bush.

Clearly some have been eaten, but there must be at least a dozen others not accounted for. I have carefully followed all the instructions about putting them under cover, in drainpipes, old guttering, etc to protect from birds and other animals; but the rats are pushing the guttering over, and they are too fat to squeeze down some of the drainpipes. I used old roof-tiles as well, as covers, and they get tipped up as well.

Is it likely that the bags have been taken to a nest, and will eventually be eaten? Its costing me a bomb to keep on replacing the sachets, but I know I have to keep putting them out. I have, by the way, reduced the birdseed to virtually nil, and have had to give up using the birdtable after finding a rat legging up the centre post and using a nearby twig to springboard itself onto the top. No I'm not joking, its perfectly true. The birds are looking cheesed off and the rats (about six, maybe) seem as healthy as they were two weeks ago. I don't think I'm winning this one. Any thoughts?

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022