SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ornata

Olea europea

ornata
18 years ago

Hi. I've just bought a young olive tree and would appreciate some advice on how best to look after it. It's about 7 foot tall with a thin trunk - in dimensions more like a container-grown deciduous tree. It will live somewhere in our small, sloping, south-south-east facing front garden, which is surrounded by a 4 foot wall, and I understand it will be hardy in this location (I'm in London) but I am not sure whether it would be better to plant it out or keep it in a pot.

If I were to plant it out, it would be in heavy, though well drained, clay soil that is mulched with gravel, some of which has worked its way down and presumably improves the drainage. I'm concerned that the soil might still be too wet in winter for a tree that is adapted to cope with minimum rainfall. Also, clay promotes lush, leafy growth - quite the opposite to the type of soil I imagine an olive tree thriving in.

One solution would be to dig a hole in the garden and sink the tree into the ground in a large pot. That way I can control the soil type and hopefully it would stay drier in winter. Do you think this is feasible? I know I would have to water it regularly and also its growth would be restricted - are there any other reasons why it might be a bad idea?

Also, can anybody recommend a good book that deals with the subject? As well as learning more about olive tree cultivation, I'd be interested in learning about the different cultivars. There were two trees in the shop to choose from - both with quite distinct leaves. On one the leaves were shorter, greener and lighter in shade, whereas the one I chose had longer, darker, more silvery leaves.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio