SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chippewacat

Pond clear out

chippewacat
15 years ago

What a weekend. After feeling rather smug about not seeing any globby yellow things, I realised that the forest of water starwort that has taken over has been covered in it, and in some parts of pond it was like a thick soup. And, it looks like some stone crop has made its way in. So anticipating that any amphibian eggs are well and truly hatched and trying not to think of the damselfly eggs I was destroying, I had a major clearout. Thank goodness for wetsuits.

Spent much of the time swishing the water starwort and pulling out tadpoles and nymphs (dozens of them). One little froglet jumped on my hand. Also had to take out all the cobbles to clear out what I think is stone-crop which is where most of the critters hide. They were not happy! But all cobbles laid back now so they have places to hide from the stickelbacks and.....

the two foot grass snake!! Husband couldn't believe it as he was in the sitting room and this snake loomed up to the window, looked in, and then slithered into the pond.

Also, saw what I think must be a beautiful demoiselle--very well named. I think it was a visitor from the stream in the woods we back onto. It was big and electric blue and black. Whatever it was it was very striking!

A lot goes on we just don't know about!

Pond does look much better now though, and clearer. I think I have had too much oxygenator in the pond, and yes, I have now invested in those barley straw bales which are now bobbing up and down! This will be the test to see if next year there is really a difference in the algae! Those bales are so expensive--any thoughts on how to find a nice organic farmer with barley straw going spare?

happy ponding,

Chip

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting