SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
judith_sydney

Native groundcover

judith_sydney
18 years ago

Hi all,
I'm looking for a native groundcover as an alternative to grass. I was going to use native violet, but the problem I have is the area (2mt x 15mt) is covered with weedmat and I would like to leave it there. (its working well!) Since the violet sends out roots, I guess it would have trouble spreading through the weedmat.
So I need something that I can plant a bunch of plants, and it will spread as far as possible without actually having to send out additional roots. I hope I make sense.
I want to stay native as its in a narrow side of the house which is my native garden against the fence, and this is to make a path with stepping stones through it.
What are these like (I think they are all native)
Dichondra Repens,
Heeria reptans,
Pratia Puberula,
I'd like something preferably no more than 10cm high, some flowers would be nice.
Alternatively, I can pull up the weedmat but if I do that I need something that does grow very vigourously and dense that will stop invasion of weeds in the area.
By the way, I am using 'p' in brackets and 'br' in brackets in my posts, but they are being stripped at preview and not submitting - hence this crappy layout. Do I need other html or is the P and BR codes with '' enough?
Thanks in advance (for everything!)
Martin (the other half of 'judith_sydney')

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths
More Discussions