SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
netla

Enlightenment era authors & books?

netla
18 years ago

I am taking a course on the literary and ideological history of the Enlightenment and pre-Romanticism eras. We're covering the time from about 1650 to 1800. I have to pick a book from that time period to review and hold a lecture on. It should preferably be non-fiction, or if a novel, then one that expresses clearly the ideology of the era.

I am quite familiar with the fiction and poetry of the time but have only read about some of the more famous theorists and philosophers. The book must preferably be something influential. I want to find something that is not going to be dead boring to read - there can be complicated ideas, but it needs to be written in (or translated into) a readable style. (Does not necessarily have to be originally in English). There is a lot available, but I would like to hear about personal recommendations of works you have read and enjoyed.

P.S. If you can recommend movies that give a taste of the era, that would be great, as we are going to watch some movies as well. (We have already watched England, my England, and are planning to watch The Madness of King George next).

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida