Houzz Logo Print
sean_mckinney_gw

A ponder dies from a cut sustained whilst ponding

Sean_McKinney
19 years ago

This is cut and pasted bits from other forums

-------------------------------------------------------

Please be careful out there.

I wont name names as it is not my place to do so, but EVERYBODY, please be carefull when working in your ponds.

Last week, a top end Koi dealer over here in the UK and his dad were installing a nexus to his already well filtered spotless home pond. Somehow or other while the work was being done, his dad cut his finger, not sufficient to justify stopping work though, so they carried on till the job was done.

Next day he felt unwell and was very shivery which was dismissed as a chill. The doctor diagnosed flu.

The next 48 hours saw deterioration till an ambulance had to be called, and he was rushed to hospital with septacemia. This led on to kidney problems, the treatment of which has caused a bleed on the brain. That treatment has had to be stopped so the bleed can be corrected, and he is currently on a LIFE SUPPORT MACHINE !!

Obviously, everyone who knows the family are all praying for his recovery, and I consider it my duty to pass on the warning that no matter how clean you think your pond and its water are, it is still possible to catch a life threatening infection, if you expose any cuts to your water.

Safer still, get yourselves some latex gloves and WEAR them when you are working round the pond and filters, and when you have finished, wash your hands with disinfectant, EVERY TIME !!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Many thanks for the many kind words for my dad.

We are hopeful he is doing ok, basically he has septacemia (sp?), blooding poisoning, the source of which we do not, and probably will never, know for definite. He is responding to antibiotics, certainly one they've used in Gentamycin.

However, there is one thing I know and it will change my whole attitude and routine when dealing with the pond and handling koi.

On Friday we fitted my nexus. In doing so my dad cut his finger however continued to work on the pond which included getting his cut finger wet with water directly from the bottom drain.

By Saturday afternoon and evening he felt unwell and was very shivery which was dismissed as a chill, the doctor diagnosed he had flue. The next 48 hours saw deterioration until the point my mum called an ambulance.

Whilst we will never know whether the cut and the pond water had any part to play in causing the condition he is now I know for sure I will be extremely vigilant when working around the pond and koi, something i've always been rather blase about.

From now on I will ensure that I always where latex gloves when treating koi and handling medications etc (I know this is common sense but do we all do it?).

If I am maintaining the pond and have any cuts etc I will ensure water proof gloves are warn.

Finally I will be obtaining some of the disinfectant Cutan Alcohol Gel as used in the hospital, and particularly on my dad's High...

Comments (9)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!