SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yaablett

watering question

yaablett
18 years ago

sorry if this is the dumbest question ever asked on this forum, but i am new to vegetable gardening....

I planted seedlings in my new raised garden bed a few months back and now have, for instance, thumb-sized butternut pumpkins that recently bloomed before withering and dying (pumpkin and flower). I thought maybe I was overwatering, as I was watering every night and giving the soil a pretty good soak. So I decided to cut back on the watering, doing so every second night rather then every night. my pumpkins are still dying, and so now are my little cucumbers that get to about two centimetrs long, flower, then turn yellow and die.

The soil is brand new garden-specific soil, gets good sun and is sheltered from the wind.

So my question is, how much should I water? My garden is about 5 square metres and has pumpkins, cucumbers, tomatoes (which incidentally are thriving (touch wood)), chillis, garlic, shallots, basil, carots and parsley. The chills have also started to wither after seeming to thrive earlier.

Any advice?

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville