SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
franks_anp

A question about smaller lillypillies or similar plants

Frank_S
16 years ago

I previously planted an informal hedge of Acmena smithii "Hot Flush". This was marketed as growing no more than about 3m. I moved house before the plants were mature, but had already cut the tops off them a few times when they went beyond 3m.

In spite of this, I have been looking to use the same plant for the same purpose at our new place, but have been unable to locate it. It seems to have fallen out of fashion or perhaps never really took off. Does anyone know where it is still available?

In the meantime, I have been considering alternatives. One that I am thinking of using, that I believe also does not suffer from psyllid attack, is a hybrid based on Syzigium wilsonii and another Syzigium. I can't remember the cultivar name. From memory, it also gets the big powder-puff flowers, though pink rather than red. Is anyone growing this, and if so, how high does it grow? I have grown Syzigium wilsonii and it grows slowly to about 2m though very wide, and the older leaves can become a bit ratty. The cultivar has finer and more attractive leaves.

I also saw Syzygium luehmannii "Lulu" in Bunnings today, which may also be suitable. Has anyone planted this, and if so, what is your experience of it?

Are there any other similar suitable plants that anyone has found appropriate for an informal hedge? I am looking for a relatively fast-growing plant that retains its leaves to the ground and provides a thick screen, for between the house and the boundary fence (about 1.5m width, although that is not critical, but I do want to minimise pruning).

Thanks,

Frank

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!
More Discussions