SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
artiew

Replacing exotics with natives in front garden

artiew
18 years ago

Hi All,

Prior to this point, I've been concentrating on the back garden, and most of you will be familiar with my 'natives alongside exotics' approach.

When it came to the (severely neglected) front garden, however, I have surprised myself with the extent to which I am now prepared to have almost every single exotic ripped out, and the joy of replacing each of them with natives. The previous owners seem to have planted things willy-nilly : large Eucalypts alongside date palms, Bougainvillea, bromeliads and (cough, splutter) roses ...

Its all looking pretty bare at the moment, but removing the two Euphorbia 'Snowflake' shrubs and the hideous Duranta on the weekend gave me a great deal of pleasure. The neighbours seemed horrified, but their dismay will soon disappear behind a wall of Backhousia Citriodora and assorted lillypillies on one side and tropical Grevillea on the other. None of this is rocket science, but its astounding how poorly matched many of the plantings in Rocky front yards seem to be - no apparent theme tying anything together, and no attempt to group the needier plants away from their hardier colleagues.

All I have to do now is find the right spot for the Toona Clilata and I'm laughing :)

Cheers,

Artie

Comments (7)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH
More Discussions