SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
agnes_wa

What's flowering?

agnes_wa
18 years ago

My banksia hookeriana is flowering, as are some of my grevilleas, my running postman, my hibbertia, my westringia, chorizima, red kunzea, correas and croweas (not as many or as fully as I would have liked) and leuschenaultias.

The following are looking very hopeful - native wisteria, star kunzea, patersonia.

I love my natives in winter !!

Comments (32)

• mistymorn
    18 years ago

Thats wonderful Agnes, you have a terrific selection there.
    I only have Grevillea and flowering Gums in bloom at present
    MM.

• trancegemini_wa
    18 years ago

most of my natives are still too small to flower yet but my little grevillea robyn gordons which I only planted a few months ago have flower buds coming on them already, I can wait to see them flower properly.

• Related Discussions

What Flower is This, whats wrong with it?

Q

Comments (6)
    There are more resistant forms of Phlox paniculata, in particular a white flowered one called David if you want to replace this. If not powdery mildew has yet to kill any of my phlox, though it sure is ugly if the plant is very visible. You can reduce its likelihood next year with good culture, though not necessarily prevent it. This fall, remove all the stems and leaves after the first frost and throw it out - don't compost it. Put new mulch under the plant to prevent the spores from splashing onto new growth next spring. As it grows next year, cut out enough of the stems so that the foliage isn't crowded and gets good air flow. Water with soaker hoses if needed, don't wet the foliage. If you want to use a fungicide (I don't like to as they may cause problems for various critters or groundwater) you really need to use it before it gets this bad - using it now won't really help. Start using it at the very first sign of PM.
    ...See More

what flower is this seed pod from. I can not remember, from a friend

Q

Comments (4)
    Could this be it? Mexican Hat Coneflower Mexican Hat (also known as upright prairie coneflower, long-headed coneflower, and Mexican Hat Flower) is an interesting native perennial that has unique blooms. The flower has somewhat resemble sombreros (hence the common name!). Mexican Hat (Ratibida columnifera) is part of the prairie coneflower group, and in the aster family.
    ...See More

What flower carpet did I buy?

Q

Comments (9)
    it really depends on how you train and prune it... I tie it on my fence so it’s like a climber. 6 to 8 ft wide I estimate. It’s messy when it’s not blooming... tbh am not sure if I like this rose
    ...See More

What flowers to plant with herbs in window box?

Q

Comments (14)
    Stick with marigolds and nasturtiums. You'll be surprised how quickly things like sage, oregano, and basil fill the space. Geraniums and salvia are way too big, and snap dragons have a short season. Dill can also grow really tall.
    ...See More
  • User
    18 years ago

My Hardenbergia (happy wanderer) is a blaze of glory at the moment. I love it. Is this what you refered to as native wisteria? I have never heard that term before, so am not sure.
    I have a wattle that has almost finished...much to the dismay of my little possum friends. (Yes, I do like possums, I know a lot of gardeners don't, but they are always welcome at my place)
    My white Correa is doing really well and a little pink low shrub/ground cover that I don't recall the name of, is looking very pretty.
    Cheers,
    Dee.

• kickstand778
    18 years ago

Banksia speciosa, Grevillea 'Robyn Gordon', and Castanospermum australe at the moment.

• Frank_S
    18 years ago

Grevillea "Robyn Gordon" "Pink Surprise" "Honey Gem" and another cultivar with red flowers
    Grevillea bronwynia (?)
    Zieria "Carpet Star"(?)
    Westringia "Wynyabbie Gem"
    Geraldton Wax - a couple of cultivars and a species plant
    Hakea laurina, H. victoriae, and another cultivar Hakea
    Goodenia ovata prostrate

Callistemon "Mr Foster" Eremophila nivea, will be flowering very soon (full buds)

(?) = not sure of the name

Cheers,
    Frank

• agnes_wa
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Frank, I am pea green with envy that your hakeas are flowering, especially your hakea laurina. How old is yours? Mine has been in the ground for 3 or so years now (is approx 5 ft tall) and not a flower to be seen.

Yes, native wisteria is the same as the happy wanderer - I have a purple one which is looking promising - but it is in a semi-shaded position. Others nearby have flowered ... so I have my fingers crossed.

MM, I am happy to hear that your flowering gum is flowering - my euc. ficifolia will hopefully flower in summer - there is lots of new growth so I am very hopeful.

Aren't flowering grevilleas in the middle of winter the most delightful thing?

My Goodenia has not grown very much (starter tube). I am tempted blood and bone it ...

Thanks for sharing all.

• Frank_S
    18 years ago

Hi Agnes,

The Hakea laurina must be about 4 years old now and its first real flowering was last year. I have plenty of seeds from it but the plant itself has been getting a bit diseased - lower branches dying off, black leaves, so I guess its not really suited to this neck of the woods - a shame because I love the flowers. I'm considering removing it and may replant elsewhere.

H. victoriae on the other hand seems fairly healthy and have just got some seeds from it into tubes - the flowers are not well displayed nor showy but the foliage is terrific.

Cheers,
    Frank

• nathanhurst
    18 years ago

Lots of grevilleas, epracrids (though none of my richeas have done anything again :-(, eremophilas, lechenaultias and one lonesome pycnosorus(it normally flowers in summer!). The dog violets are putting on a bit of colour.

Also putting on a show is a small WA pink thing (which neither I, nor the person who sold it to me can identify), a darwinia, some roses, isopogons, correas, a boronia, wattles and a few gum trees. A lone yellow Stylidium graminifolium is flowering in the greenhouse, I suspect it is confused.

• User
    18 years ago

Nathan,
    Why don't you post a picture of your 'small WA pink thing'.
    I'm sure somone here would identify it for you. Are you ready Tony? If you can't do a picture, a good description with size and shape of leaves and flowers might do.
    Cheers,
    Dee.

• wattleblossom
    18 years ago

Several mentions above of H.victoriae has made me wonder if anyone can tell me how long it takes for it to develop it's coloured foliage?
    Thanks WB

• Frank_S
    18 years ago

Hello Wattleblossum,

I think mine's about four years old and it would have been at least two years old (about 2 m high) before a few of the top-most adult leaves started yellowing with some orange colour near the stems (no red then or now). Growth seems to have slowed down now. It was a spindly plant the first couple of years and looked quite ugly, but then became quite well-shaped as lateral branches grew without any interference on my part. I still don't have that many adult leaves on it, so am anticipating a better show in years to come.

Cheers,
    Frank

• roysta
    18 years ago

Currently flowering in my garden:
    Several Grevilleas
    Tetratheca thymifolia
    Chamelaucium uncinatum
    Eremophila maculata
    Correa glabra
    Dendrobium monophyllum

About to produce:
    Acacia longifolia
    Telopea speciosissima
    Melaleuca fulgens

• nathanhurst
    18 years ago

Ok, here tis: {{gwi:2116583}}

It has 5 petals, the flower is about 1cm across. It probably comes from albany. It is very slow growing (this is a 3 year old cutting). I'm growing it on a capillary mat in 20% clay, 30% potting mix, 50% coarse sand.

• wattleblossom
    18 years ago

Thanks Frank. My H. victoriae is only about 1 metre tall and already looks lovely with it's green curly leaves. Last spring, I went to see the wonderful mature specimens of this plant at the Burrendong Arboretum near Wellington, NSW. Along with the silver Eucalyptus caesia, which were flowering at the time, they where the highlight of the trip.

• agnes_wa
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Oh People, everything is sounding so lovely. I spend moments when I just sit and stare at my garden from my window, and admire my lovely flowers.

I have high expectations for my flowering gums. I hope that they give me beautiful sprays this summer.

My native wisteria is looking promising, still. But the flower buds are certainly there, they just haven't opened yet !!

Nathan - are your boronias confused also? ;) My boronias won't flower until spring time (I think). Also, lucky you to still be getty roses.

I can't wait till my stone fruit trees blossom - the almonds next door have already gone off. But we have a nectarine, apricot, and 2 peaches who are in lovely budswell at the moment. The roses are starting to leaf up.

We blood and boned a few things on the weekend. Hopefully the lilly pillies will start bushing up this spring.

My banksia repens has not flowered yet - 2 years. Some nice new growth (fairly scant, less than 10 new leaves) - but no flowers. Does anyone have one that has flowered? The same with my banksia littoralis. Very tempting new growth, but not a flowerbud in sight.

• wattleblossom
    18 years ago

To day the flowers of the native wisteria, Hardenbergia volacea, Grevillea 'Ned Kelly' and 'Peaches and Cream', Banksia spinulosa, Zieria 'Grey Ghost' and Leptospermum squarrosum can all be seen peeping through the snow.

• agnes_wa
    Original Author
    18 years ago

At last, my native wisteria is also in full bloom - and is absolutely delightful. The most beautiful purple pea flowers.

But the kennedia running postman has been in non stop flowering mode now for at least 4 weeks.

• mistymorn
    18 years ago

My Hardenbergia White and Purple are still in flower
    Today my Callistemon salignus burst into bloom
    {{gwi:2116584}}
    And a few days earlier Callistemon tinaroo flowered too..MM.
    {{gwi:2116585}}

• Frank_S
    18 years ago

My Eremophila nivea is now flowering and before I mowed today, there was a little mat of dropped flowers around it. My wife really loves that plant too. My Hardenbergia is in full flower- brilliant purple flowers. A small Wonga vine variety with striking orange flowers is in flower too - the flowers are noticeable from a fair distance- and I think I'll propagate it, I'm so impressed. (I noticed heaps of the Wonga vine species plant in flower on a side track in the Kingaroy district recently - quite pretty from a distance although the flowers up close are a light greeny-white that does not inspire me.) Two Kangaroo paws, one red and one yellow are in bud.

Callistemon "Mr Foster" has started flowering. Hakea cineria has one flower just starting to open. A couple of Isopogons are in bud. Quite a number of Grevilleas of different species and varieties are in flower.

• agnes_wa
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Mistymorn - your photos are beautiful. Callistemon salignus - I have never seen this before, does it have a common name? Also is it upright or weeping?

Your Callistemon tinaroo is also beautiful. What gorgeous colours. I only have call. perth pink, kings park special and endeavour. But I would love to lay my hands on salignus.

Frank, I have a hakea cineria. How old was yours before it flowered? My isopogon is growing long ways (instead of upright, same with callytrix) so I am not sure if I will get any blooms.

My wedding bush (which you kindly pointed out is not a WA native) is gearing up with some little buds or new growth - can't quite tell, but I think it is still quite a way from flowering.

• mistymorn
    18 years ago

Hi Agnes I planted this cream one four years ago and it sat and sulked for over two years then last spring it grew about 1mt and last time it rained its that long ago I forget it more than doubled it hight would be close on 3mts now and is weeping and looks terrific, I posted more pics on the Oz Garden Gallery "More Natives Flowering".

I think its common name is Willow Bottle Brush but it may come in other colours too, I dont think you will have any problems buying it in your area especially from a Native Nursery. Cheers...MM

• Frank_S
    18 years ago

Hi Agnes,

My Hakea cineria is 4 or 5 years old and didn't flower at all last year. The previous year it had at most a half-dozen flowers, its first flowering.

My Isopogon formosus is also growing sideways , but newer branches are resting over older ones, so I suppose it will get higher eventually. I'm really surprised it is still alive in clayey soil in my area of SE Qld. It flowered last year for the first time, and appears healthy.

I also have a Calytrix (tetragona?) that is about the same age as the Isopogon, if not older, that has not flowered yet. Has yours?

• agnes_wa
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Frank

My calytrix are only starter tubes and have not yet flowered. One (which is growing very very sideways) has been in though for over a season.

My hakea laurina has been in the ground for about 4 or 5 yrs now and I have seen not a bud in sight. I am desperate for it to flower.

Mistymorn - thanks - I will definately keep an eye out for your bottlebrushes - they are just gorgeous.

Mydarwinia citridora is probably one of the most disappointing plants I have popped in - the leaves have gone yellow and it has not flowered. I don't know what to do with it. Has anyone got any suggestions?

• Frank_S
    18 years ago

My Wedding Bush is in full spectacular white flower now;
    so is Callistemon "Mr Foster". Kangaroo paws are in full bud, not long now. Native Wisteria is in bud for the first time, should not be long to flower. Alyxia ruscifolia has finished flowering. North Qld Tree Waratah is just starting to flower - there are many buds, should be spectacular this year - it flowered first time last year, but only a few flowers. Koda, though small, is in bud for the first time. Species Geraldton Wax is in full flower. Syzigium wilsonii is in bud, will flower within a few weeks I think. Grevillea "Honey Gem" and "Pink Surprise" are both flowering. Two Isopogon species are flowering. Hakea cinerea is flowering. Grevillea georgiana is maybe more than midway finished flowering.

How's progress in your garden?

Cheers,
    Frank

• trancegemini_wa
    18 years ago

I noticed one of my calistemon trees is dripping with big red flowers now, I dont know which type it is unfortunately, but it looks great. driving around Ive noticed bottlebrushes all over the place in full bloom too

• artiew
    18 years ago

Ok, given that I'm starting a new garden, I dont have much to offer, but my Pandorea Jasminoides has surprised me with the speed at which it flowered (2 months after planting). Come to think of it, I'd prefer that it concentrated on root and tendril development, so I'd better dash home tonight and cut those glorious flowers of ....

• agnes_wa
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Artie - are you starting on a new garden? Where? What have you put into it?

My westringia are flowering, as are my grevilleas. My hardenbergia is finishing up, but the wedding bushes are springing into it.

I love spring.

• artiew
    18 years ago

Hi Aggie,

I think I've mentioned it several times - moved into my new home in mid-June, and I've been planting solidly since (!). My biggest mistake was to place too much faith in the huge Poincianas at the back of the block - the angle of the Winter/Spring sun and the semi-deciduous nature of Delonix has left me with some pretty sorry tree ferns, and my mature palms (2m plus) have all suffered with wind and sun damage, but they seem to be coping.

Its not all natives - I've been seduced by a lot of exotic tropical plants - but I've tried to plant natives where possible. Carpenteria, Macarthur, Solitaire and Bangalow palms over an understorey of lillipillies, cordylines, ferns and a mishmash of Austromyrtus, Backhousia, Nandina and other species, with Lomandra, Emu Bush and Liriope at the bottom. Give it another year or three :)

Cheers,

Artie

• lakota
    18 years ago

Hi guys, just went for a walk in the forest across the road to check out the wildflowers. The spider orchids and cowslip orchids are looking beautiful, as well as the hibbertias, pixie mops, lechenaultias and heaps of others especially the flame peas, they are EVERYWHERE. Unfortunately the donkey orchids are a bit small this year. I know these aren't in my garden but this is even better seeing them in their natural environment. Some of these natives can be obtained from Kings Park to plant in your own gardens.
    Cheers, Jules

• wattleblossom
    18 years ago

Sounds beautiful Jules. What are pixie mops?

• lakota
    18 years ago

Hi Wattleblossom, pixie mops are known botanically as petrophile linearis. They are a little evergreen shrub with pretty mauve mop like flowers in spring.
    Cheers, Jules

• wazcrazy
    18 years ago

Well I haven't responded cause have had many replacement but I now have
    nsw christmas bush in flower
    macropodia (black kangaroo paw)and regular kangaroo paws
    grevillea tambornithia
    g.thelmanniana (grey leaf form prostrate)
    g.(slyvia)
    g.romarinfloria
    G.oblongfolia
    brachyscomes (but they never stop)
    callistemon mauve mist
    c.pink alma
    xantheorrea johnsonii
    doranthyes palmeri
    to name a few but they look good