SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ozmantis

Baby Photos 2/2005

ozmantis
18 years ago

Thought I would start a new one as the old one is getting slow to load.

No pics at the moment but I counted up 32 fruit set on 7 plants in the greenhouse. Wahoo

Plants outside are opening flowers, and with the weather on the cool side should set well.

Grub, my faux Box Car Willie has 5 fruit set. They are definetly beefstake type and not round reds, so that about confirms there fauxness (sorry, I dont think that is a word). The possible true one has opened flowers, and I should be able to tell if they are globes or not in a couple of weeks.

For those who haven't followed the thread on the US site, many folks have grown BCW's that have turned out to be something else. A ribbed flattened type beefstake, whereas the true one should be round blemish free fruit. Anyway, I have grown them from two sources this year and the ones from TGS seem to be the true blue BCW. Time will tell for sure.

Cheers for now Mantis

Comments (103)

• ozmantis
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Heres the new part of the greenhouse. The far end of the greenhouse is 6 foot high. The plant behind the watering can is a Brandywine suddeth. It is only a foot from the roof and has at least 10 fruit on it.
    {{gwi:2116532}}

• ozmantis
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Here is Soldaki, nearly six foot high and has 16 fruit set
    {{gwi:2116533}}

• lynlyn
    18 years ago

Ozmatins, you should be proud, it really look great. I noticed you grow alot of your tommies in pots is there a big difference in yield with the ones you grow in ground? Most of my plants are in pots and am just wondering. What size pots are they in 40cm?

• ozmantis
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Lynlyn.
    If you go to my home page (link below) and click on Sept18 down the left side of the page you will get a better idea of my setup. The pots in the greenhouse, and the outside ones that are on the soil are smaller but have their bottoms cut off. The free standing pots are 40 cm at least and I get a fair crop off all of them.
    I only have 6 plants growing directly in the soil and they are way behind the potted ones at the moment.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Patch

• adamus
    18 years ago

Went to the local market this morn, and there's a guy there who grows his own tommies. Bought a beeeyute iful Anna Russian for 2 dollars.
    It's twice as big as any of mine. Local knowledge eh?.

• ozmantis
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Go Adam. Have you checked your email lately.
    Totally impressed with Anna Russian so far. One in the greenhouse is loading up with fruit, and a grafted one outside has really taken off.

• adamus
    18 years ago

Finally checked my Email, and thanx a heap. I will never get over the generosity of garden people. I have a space all set for them to grow well and happy. Will have to think of reciprocal thingy.
    Hmmmmmmmm. A nice Roast Chicken , maybe?
    Wicked Boy.

• mark_wendy
    18 years ago

Hi Gang,

Thought IÂd share what is happening in my tomato patch at the moment.

1. EarlÂs Faux: Plant is about four feet tall with plenty of flowers, but no fruit set as yet.
    2. Cherokee Purple: Growing well with plenty of flowers and one tomato so far.
    3. Cherokee Green: Similar height to 1 and has set about nine fruit.
    4. MariannaÂs Peace: See 1.
    5. Cherokee Chocolate: Seedling was ripped out of the garden bed two weeks ago. New seeds planted failed to germinate. Will try next season.
    6. Jaune Negib: Two plants in pots are both about three feet tall and both have about 15 fruit set.
    7. Little Lucky: PL1 Â four fruit PL2 Â one fruit RL1 Â two fruit.
    8. Santorini: Not growing myself because it is a cherry tom.
    9. Eckert Polish: Plenty of flowers  no fruit set.

1. Fritsche: See 9
    2. Paragon: See 9
    3. Lucky Cross: Seedling was ripped out of garden bed two weeks ago. Have one new seedling at first true leaves stage.
    4. ReginaÂs Yellow: Three tomatoes
    5. Turkey Chomp: See 9
    6. Hawaiian Pineapple: See 9
    7. Hillbilly: See 9
    8. Australian Pink: Part of RaymondoÂs Aussie Tom Growout. 2 Plants at 2-3 feet tall with three and four fruit set respectively.
    9. BurrackerÂs Favourite: Still a small plant, having just set its first flower truss.
    10. Brandywine SudduthÂs: PL1 & RL1 Â See 18
    11. Amana Orange: See 18
    12. Black Krim: See 18
    13. LivingstoneÂs Stone: One fruit set.
    14. Lime Green Salad: Two plants in pots  see 9
    15. Black From Tula: See 18
    16. Aunt RubyÂs German Green: Two plants in the garden  see 18
    17. Box Car Willie: See 18
    18. Anna Russian: See 18
    19. White Beauty: Seedling planted out was snapped off at ground level by wind. Try again next season.
    20. Green Giant: One PL seedling planted out today (Wednesday).
    21. LyudaÂs Large Red Ukrainian: All seeds failed to germinate. Will try and source seed for next season.
    22. Turkish: Given a bunch of seedlings and some seeds recently from a bloke who in turn got them from a mate who says they are of Turkish origin. Two seedlings planted out in the garden are small, but both have flower trusses and one plant has set a tomato already.
  • Spatzbear
    18 years ago

Remember the Tasmanian Blushing Yellow nearly 3 weeks ago?
    This is what it looks like today:
    {{gwi:2116534}}

• Raymondo
    18 years ago

Great looking group of tommies Mark. When do we get to see them! Any chance of you coming to the 2006 tommy fest in Marysville next year?

Spatz, lovely plant. Looks in the peak of health!

• ozmantis
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Fantastic list there Mark. I have about 12 of yours growing as well. Will be good to compare results later on.

Noice plant there Spatz. Looks to be really starting to take off.

My Cherokee Green is a strange one. It has hundreds of flowers but has only set about 10 fruit (some of them with some help from other pollen), and the fruit look like they are going to be very small.

Box Car Willie has finally set some fruit. Slow motion this fella is.

Cherokee Purple is doing the same as last year with a huge first truss of fruit and then nothing on the trusses above.

Dont think Kellogs Breakfast likes the greenhouse, so he might get moved out on the weekend.

Nepal X Tommy Toe cross has opened flowers. Cant wait to see what the fruit is like.

Crossed flower of College Challenger (mother) with Brandywine suddeth has taken and is swelling, Yeeehaahh.
    Hoping to get the fruit ripened and seeds from it sown by sometime in Jan, but as we know, the best laid plans ......

Best outside tom so far is Soiux. Three of them are all setting fruit.

Cheers for now Mantis

• The_Grub
    18 years ago

Great going everyone. Some realty good progress. Green with envy of the loaded Cherokee Green. I'm still weeks away from planting out. Damn seedlings got the foam-cup setbacks, but recent week of high humidity and a drink of half-stregth blue rinse or MG has woken them up.

Grub's Green PL is my strongest seedling. Anyone growing GG and, if so, what's the leaf type for you?

My pairs of Mountain Princess, Sophies Choice, New Big Dwarf and coule of others destined for pots are also doing wonderfully and will bepotted up this weekend. Been shopping: can't find cheap 40ltr pots. Only need 12. All mine are 25ltr.

• Raymondo
    18 years ago

Hey Mantis. Wouldn't it have been better to use Brandywine as mummy in the cross with CC? That way, you'd be able to tell in the F1 whether the cross was successful or not.
    I'm going to try a cross between Jaune Flammée and a large red because I'd like a bigger JF, or similar. Fun.
    Grub, seedlings here got the coffee cup blues so they were planted out at just cotyledon stage. They're pupming away in the garden now. They took off within days of being put in.

• lomatia
    18 years ago

Grub, I had a mixture of PL and RL with the Mystery Green. They are seriously big seedlings with a very thick stem. (Much thicker than anything else of the same age)

• Raymondo
    18 years ago

At last ...

Mary Italian
    {{gwi:2116535}}

Burracker's Favorite (American variety hence the spelling)
    {{gwi:2116536}}

Snow pea flower (well, I thought it was nice)
    {{gwi:2116537}}

• The_Grub
    18 years ago

Ray,
    That's interesting. I had trouble tossing all the extras during the second transplant stage so I poked my finger into the vacant patch and stuck a few seedlings in there as an experiment.

I pulled them the other day coz I didn't label them, but with virtually no care they were 10 times the size of the cup-dwellers. I really think something isn't right there: if not the foam (which reminds me to check coz y'day afternoon the chook ate a large piece of foam) then I think it's the wide range of temperatures in the wee cup of soil. I reckon they could be big enough to plant out this weekend.

Lomatia,
    That's really exciting. Not too many PL greens in the world. A lot of interest in this one from Up Over, too. I second the bit about them being like little trees. So strong. And if last year is anything to go by they hit a manageable 5ft or so.

I can't wait to sow Denise's saved Grub's Mystery Green seeds from a PL grown last NH season. Will be interesting to see if they are stable. Sowing them this weekend.

Last season, there I was waiting for a black Paul Robeson fruit and then I thought, hey, that's turning green-gold and, wow, it's ripe to touch. Then to cut it open, lay the vibrant green slices on a Kavli biscuit, season and taste. I guess you could call it a nice surprise. Delicious, in fact.

If anyone would like some saved seeds of Grub's Mystery Green just email me. I haven't got loads, as it's not a particularly seedy fruit more meaty, but about 50 or so seeds that I would be thrilled to send out if you're interested.

Ciao, Grub :)

• lomatia
    18 years ago

I use plastic cups from the dollar shop (80 for $2) and some seedlings stay runty while others take off independent of variety. I notice that the light penetrates the plastic and if the mix is too wet then the algae grows INSIDE the pot deep down. Some of the potting mix I use is a bit 'woody' (from fine wood chip so there also migt be some N drawdown?)
    The other strong grower was Fritsch but not as big as MG. I'd better be sure that I plant both leaf types.

• lomatia
    18 years ago

Mystery Green seedlings both leaf types. I'd better plant these. {{gwi:2116538}}
    What is the origin Grub?
    My Imur Beta Prior has PL as well. Have I had some cross pollination with it?

• Raymondo
    18 years ago

Big plants lomatia!

Thought it might be time for an update on what's in the garden tomato-wise.
    Anna Russian
    Australian Red
    Azoychka (Anioleka)
    Azoychka (TGS Â the two are different)
    Ballandean Roma
    BurrackerÂs Favorite
    Camp Joy
    Cherokee Green
    Cherokee Purple
    Clear Pink Early
    College Challenger
    Eva Purple Ball
    GalinaÂs
    German Johnson
    Golden Ponderosa
    Great White Beefsteak
    Heatherington Pink
    Indian Stripe
    Jaune Flammée
    Joe ThienemanÂs Australian Heart
    June Pink
    Kimberly
    LivingstonÂs Giant Oxheart
    MariannaÂs Peace
    Mary Italian
    Moldovan Green
    Mortgage Lifter (EstlerÂs Strain)
    OleyarÂs German
    Orange Heirloom
    Orlov Yellow
    Paragon
    PhilÂs Fantastic
    Pineapple Fog
    Rasp Large Red
    Red Cloud
    Rinaldo
    Salad Special
    San Marzano
    Sioux
    SophieÂs Choice
    Stick
    Striped (or Speckled) Roman
    Tennessee Britches
    Verna Orange
    Victorian Dwarf
    There are still some waiting in the wings to be planted out.

• The_Grub
    18 years ago

Lomatia,
    They look great. Do plant both. Pretty please :)

Ray,
    You crack me up. No long ago you had Sydney tomato blues and said next year you were going to mix it up and, I was assuming, cut back on your list. But no way! It's blown out big time. You have more, for sure. And no need to rip-up the paving around the pool this time. Those nematodes will be missing you. Lol. I'm counting 45 on that list and more t/c. Way to go. You are hooked again.

Just planted out six in pots: New Big Dwarf, Mountain Princess, Kimberly, Sophies Choice, Russian Red and Totem.

• ozmantis
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Beutiful day here today. Have been out doing the honey bee thing distributing pollen from those with too much to those that are barren.
    Made a new batch of compost with lawn clippings and bedding straw from chook yard.
    Bought 4 more pepper seedlings and some rainbow chard
    And took some pics :-)

Here are some of the outside plants. Of these Paul Robeson, Wes, Father Tom, Souix and Unknown from Volvo have fruit on.
    {{gwi:2116539}}

Anna Russian
    {{gwi:2116540}}

Soldaki
    {{gwi:2116541}}

Faux Box Car Willie
    {{gwi:2116542}}

Polish Dwarf
    {{gwi:2116543}}

• Raymondo
    18 years ago

I'm starting a new club called the "Green with Envy at Mantis' Pictures Club".

Anyone care to join?

• lomatia
    18 years ago

What about the 'show-off' page? No Mantis they're looking good. I have a few flowers on the outside ones now. Gee they've grown a lot in the last week.

• Raymondo
    18 years ago

Grub, you're right. I was going to cut back. I don't know what happened. It's like I was in a coma. When I woke up, I had all these tommies. Don't know what happened.
    But they are mixed up. There are beans, celeriac, French tarragon, basil, marigolds and cosmos all around the edges. Mmmm, must put some thyme in!

• ozmantis
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yeah Yeah. I was green with envy earlier this year, when Spatz was posting pics of here bountiful harvest. At that time I had pulled most of mine and had just a few hanger ons.
    My outside toms have really taken off in the last week as well lomatia. I think the combination of rain and then warm days is helping them. I assume you have been getting the rain over there as well.

Must go. Off to a seafood night. All you can eat type of show yeeehaahhhh

• lomatia
    18 years ago

Watch out Mantis. Horsham is a long way from the sea!!!!!

• The_Grub
    18 years ago

Wow! They are so advanced, Mantis. I think you will like Soldacki. It's back in my patch. Planted it out today.

Lomatia,
    I f you want so info on Grub's Mystery Green see http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tomato/msg091114503336.html

(Apologies for typos and/or spelling errors.)

• lomatia
    18 years ago

Grub, I found that thread when I was trying to get info on the MG. Planted 2 x PL and i x RL today so now have 2 of each in.

• Raymondo
    18 years ago

Though no photos, here's a list of what's in the ground.

Anna Russian
    Australian Red
    Azoychka (Anioleka)
    Azoychka (TGS Â the two are different)
    Ballandean Roma
    BurrackerÂs Favorite
    Camp Joy
    Cherokee Green
    Cherokee Purple
    Clear Pink Early
    College Challenger
    Concrete Red
    Eva Purple Ball
    GalinaÂs Yellow
    German Johnson
    Golden Ponderosa
    Great White Beefsteak
    Heatherington Pink
    Imur Prior Beta
    Indian Stripe
    Jaune Flammée
    Joe ThienemanÂs Australian Heart
    June Pink
    Kimberly
    LivingstonÂs Giant Oxheart
    MariannaÂs Peace
    Mary Italian
    Moldovan Green
    Mortgage Lifter (EstlerÂs Strain)
    Neves Azorean Red
    OleyarÂs German
    Orange Heirloom
    Orlov Yellow
    Paragon
    Peach
    PhilÂs Fantastic
    Pineapple Fog
    Rasp Large Red
    Red Cloud
    Rinaldo
    Salad Special
    San Marzano
    Silvery Fir Tree
    Sioux
    SophieÂs Choice
    Stick
    Striped (or Speckled) Roman
    Tennessee Britches
    Verna Orange
    Yellow Bell

• adamus
    18 years ago

Ya just don't realise just how obsessive this is. I had no idea we had so many.
    But there are two Tommie Tragics in one house here. Can we say we only have thirty varieties each, huh, can we?.
    There's also one called Beefsteak.

• ozmantis
    Original Author
    18 years ago

And I've got 40 something varieties in and only 7 the same as yours. If they are all still going in March (mine wont be) we would have some tasting to do eh.

• The_Grub
    18 years ago

Great list, Tommy Tragics. Some I haven't heard of. I've got 11 from your list growing and another 40-50 new ones, so ditto what Mantis says. Gonna be some great reports.

• Spatzbear
    18 years ago

Wow, Oz, I am surprised anybody was jealous of my tommies last season. Especially you!. :)

Great list, Ray. We only have 7 in common.

I haven't posted much for a while, far too busy with fuel reduction around the place. While fighting a severe case of hayfever. Great fun, I can tell you! 2 more weeks of hard work to go - hopefully my vegie garden is still alive by then.

• ozmantis
    Original Author
    18 years ago

When you were posting pics of your bountiful harvest Spatz, my plants were on their last legs.
    So I'll get in while I can :-)

Compare this with the pic above from Nov4

And here are the cages. A grafted Anna Russian on the left is going beserk
    {{gwi:2116545}}

• The_Grub
    18 years ago

Maaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnntttttttttttiiiiiiiiiiiiisssssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think you will need oxygen masks soon.

:)

• ozmantis
    Original Author
    18 years ago

LOL Grub.
    The heady smell of tommy vines is thick in the air, to be sure to be sure.
    The outside toms are growing like weeds this year. A mild and wet spring is really kicking them along. The ones in the bottomless pots are kicking a$$ big time.

• The_Grub
    18 years ago

Great news! I always enjoy your early-season rev-up.

Everything is splendid here but for a dash of purple-leaf of German Red Strawberry and a relcacitrant Olema's... which has that strange upward, skyward, leaf habit.

But yours are very lush and helathy . Keep it up, matey, For my sake, at least :)

• ozmantis
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Is the purple leaf a real problem, or just a condition? I don't know.
    Dont be down hearted Grub. I have a Cherokee Chocolate that is very sickly, Croatia looks like a dud, Mary Italian is pale and sickly.
    Have pulled one Kellogs Breakfast that was blighted badly.
    Cherokee Purple will be pulled once it ripens its truss of ten fruit. It has run its race:-(
    Cherokee Green , isnt , WhatThe!!
    I am starting to think that i may have killed a Cherokee Indian in a past life.

• The_Grub
    18 years ago

Maybe too much Dolomite in that bed? Marianna's Peace in another bed, and the spare in the cup, is another sulk. But others have a good hold.

I still have the last and final bed to fit with a leaky hose and seedlings, which are all at cotlyedon stage. Looks like it'll be my Fall Crop. Then there is the front bed!

Chillies are coming along really well this year :)

• Spatzbear
    18 years ago

Have eaten my first ripe tomatoes! 2 Polar Babies. Not bad, but I wouldn't have touched them, if it hadn't been for my mum. She saw them on the plant and was eager to try them. (She thought they were delicious. Oh boy, she doesn't know what delicious is!)

Quite a lot of the plants are either flowering or have flower buds. Still looking healthy. The weeds are looking good, too. Not sure you'd see the plants if I took pictures. The weeds are like triffids.

• The_Grub
    18 years ago

Spatz,
    Time you did some weeding.

Mantis,
    Let me know what your verdict is one cages, okay? The wire ain't cheap.

And, importantly, let me know if Grub's Mystery Green in PL for you. All mine sown from Denise are PL.

Spatz again,
    You'll get the same fruit from the RL and then I can send the PL seeds for you next year :) It was really delicious for me and Denise.

• ozmantis
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Grub
    Posted on the US site that the three GMG seedlings are PL.
    Looking good too, nice strong plants.
    My Cherokee greens have turned out to be little 1.5 inch boat shaped things of as yet unknown colour.
    Aunt Rubys GG has two fruit between two plants but i am hoping for more.
    So the mystery greens are going to get pride of place eh.

I only have four cages and they are great for big plants but are a pain to store in the winter.
    Mantis

• The_Grub
    18 years ago

Mantis,
    As far as greens go, you are gonna love these GMGs. They are like a lime cordial. Tops for salads, salsas, shooters, summer fun. And I reckon it has a wide climate tolerance, given that it was good in a humid Sydney summer and in a Vancouver season.

When leaf disease sets in it's that crispy dark-green leaf thang and not the usual EB. And the plant was a semi-sparse 5-footer for me. Maybe reaching 6.5ft in a good enviro.

Thanks for the tip re cage storage. I have long been thinking of them but haven't got there yet. Keep up the great work. Good growing, Grub:)

• lomatia
    18 years ago

{{gwi:2116546}}
    Fenceline used again. Everything is growing so fast because of the rain and warmth (except today!)
    {{gwi:2116547}}
    Desperate for tommie space.
    {{gwi:2116548}}
    Even more desperate. New ground - behind the Bethal Sage and between the dahlias Grub's MG and some others.
    {{gwi:2116549}}
    Austalian Red fruitlets (not Australred my trial tommie)

• sarah_may
    18 years ago

Hi Guys, it all looks and sounds great, sadly I have very little growing but I'm already planning my garden for next year. Please ignore me when I start asking for seeds, I'll be like an addict that's been in rehab, I could be in danger of overdosing!!!!
    I'm actually supposed to be researching Lavender, Wisteria & Violets for my last assignment (due some time ago) Gardenweb came up so I thought I should pop in to say hello!
    Sarah :-)

• Mabb
    18 years ago

Well I feel rather tame with my babies, they are still newborns.... and our web server is playing up so I can't even post piccies. Very annoyed as I took a heaps of photos of the new 4-bed veggie patch complete with snow peas, potatoes, eggplant, chilli and tommies. Capsicums are still foetal - we left them a little later to see if that would help them out. Ground is still a little cold for them I think.

I too am joining the green-with-envy club... Mantis I can't believe your tommies are so big already!

We have fruit on the Broad Ripple Yellow Currant and the Jaune Flamme. Also in the plot and all with flowers:
    Cherokee Purple, Kelloggs Breakfast, Roma San Marzano, Principe Borghese, Brandywine Suddeth.

• lynlyn
    18 years ago

I just wanted to be the 100th person to post on this thread. Do I win a prize? A few tomatoes from mantis would be fine :)
    Cheers

• Spatzbear
    18 years ago

Thanks for sharing all the piccies and tomato news. One more day to go with serious fuel reduction around here - then I'll take my machete and try to rescue my vegie plants from the weeds and grass. If I can find them. Should have drawn a plan to know where things are.

• ozmantis
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Would this tomato do Lyn

{{gwi:2115487}}

• lynlyn
    18 years ago

LOL!

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm