SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
artiew

Native versions of popular exotics

artiew
17 years ago

Hi All,

Flush with the success of my various rainforest plantings to date (i.e. they are still alive), I am about to embark on another bed. Wanting to highlight the beauty of natives interplanted with their exotic counterparts, I am planning to go with something like this:

Native Frangipani (Hymenosporum flavum)

Native Ixora (Ixora Queenslandica)

Native Gardenia (Randia Fitzalani)

Native Rhododendron (Rhododendron lochiae)

I am aware of a few gaps in my plan:

- at best, its a collection of flowering/fragrant plants with nice foliage

- at worst, its a hodge-podge of plants whose sole claim to fame is that they were given the title 'native X', where 'X' is a species they may not even be related to.

- it is in direct contrast to my sermons re limiting one's palette and avoiding the 'collections for their own sake' approach to gardening. In my defence, I do see the grouping of these rainforest plants as a valuable addition to the existing theme of the garden, not merely a botanical outpost amid a sea of Crotons, Cordylines and the aforementioned exotic namesakes.

I rationalise all of this by pointing to the main aim of most gardeners : to create beauty, shade and food/habitat where none previously existed. Somewhere amidst the lillipillies, red cedar, pendas and other trees which will eventually dominate the garden, I think I can spare a few metres for 'beauty'.

Here's hoping :)

Cheers,

Artie

PS MM - I am going to break my 'silence' and post a photo of the bed when it is complete - if nothing else, it should bring a smile to the face of more experienced gardeners :)

Comments (18)

Sponsored
More Discussions