SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pommiegardener

Camellia problem

pommiegardener
19 years ago

I am hoping someone can help me. I have just moved, and inherited a camellia 'hedge', at least, I think it was meant to be a hedge! And I think they are Camellias!

Firstly, the plants do not look like Camellias as I know them - remember I am a pommie gardener. But everyone has said that they are. They have very small leaves, quite shiny, but not typical dark green glossy. They are aprox 1.5 m tall. The flowers, and they are in flower now, are small, double or even triple petaled, looking very much like a small button rose, pink tinged, turning white. They are planted in a patio border, I suspect too close together. Of the row of 8, three squashed in ones were dead, so I have got rid of those, to give the sort of ok ones more space.

The remaining ones are not very happy, and had lots of dead wood at the bottom, so I have removed that, now they look a bit like wobbly standard roses. I have not done any pruning to the sides or tops.

My queries, what variety of camellia are they? What should I do feeding and pruning wise, to try to get them looking healthy? I do realise that camellias do not like being pruned, but I had to get rid of the dead wood - and it was dead!

Any advice would be very much appreciated, thank you.

Comment (1)

Sponsored