SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrpugowski

Identify This Plant and Planting Information

mrpugowski
17 years ago

Hi, I have a plant in my backyard I would like some information about is it possible to attached an image to a post for identification.

Thanks

Andrew

Comments (11)

• gardenlen
    17 years ago

g'day andrew,

you can either use 'photobucket' to post a link in this section or go to the oz gallery section and upload the pic from your computer to that section.

and you could also seek help at:

garden express

the forums are free

len

Here is a link that might be useful: len's garden page

• justcorreas
    17 years ago

Andrew - If you send me the photo and description of your plant, I'll post it here for you.

• funnelweb
    17 years ago

People post pictures, I guess with downloaded software, but if you look at the catagories page for the forums (The Garden Web Australian Forums page) you will notice that no facility has been provided by the page creators for posting pictures, ie. there is no camera indicator for the Australian Native Plants page and therefore there are no instructions on how to do it. So I'm buggered if I know how it's done.

• justcorreas
    17 years ago

Hi FW - I had the same problem when I wanted to post a photo and actually had to go through the other GW forums to see how other people did it. I then subscribed to Photobucket, which allows you to upload photos to your account (free) which in turn gives you a code to paste into the GW forum message. You don't actually insert the photo to the message, just the code. Photobucket actually hosts your photo via the code.
    Once you've used it a couple of times it is quite easy. It is a pity there isn't a similar feature in GW - as you say.

• gardenlen
    17 years ago

you can use the oz garden gallery section to post links to pictures it is step by step stuff, just you need to use prgroams like photobucket to do it.

there are other forums that allow for pic's to be uploaded to their galleries but then there are just as many that don't have the facility so to that end this one is no different.

len

Here is a link that might be useful: len's garden page

• gardenlen
    17 years ago

there is another poster in this forum who has posted pic's in the his/her post:

id pic post

ask him/her how they did it i'm sure they'll only be too glad to help.

len

• funnelweb
    17 years ago

Why bother, why not just go to the other forums, like Garden Express mentioned by Len? There are also many more contributors there, it seems, than here and no intrusive advertising. I also sent a message to the administraor of this page as to why they don't provide a means of simple picture transfer but I never recieved a reply. I get the impression they don't really care!

• justcorreas
    17 years ago

Please Reply to Andrew for this message.

Hi, I have this plant in my backyard and would like to identify it I also want to build a raised brick garden bed in this location approx 400mm High.

Can I move the plant while building and replant or simply build around it covering the trunk with the soil used in the bed.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Andrew

{{gwi:2115995}}

• mallee
    17 years ago

The plant is Xanthorrhoea species (Yakka, Grass Tree). These can be transplanted but you will need to trim the foliage. There is not a large root system and transferring to a large tub would be the way to go while building the raised bed, which this particular plant would love. Do not build up the soil around the trunk.

• funnelweb
    17 years ago

That's a very nice and well established grass tree, it's risky disturbing it, they can take two years to die. I've tried and after that time the plant died. If you do try disturb the roots as little as possible. What I think I'd do is gradually build the garden around it and as the last job for the garden dig it all around, fairly widely and as deep as you can manage to lift and then fill in the new soil underneath. Use soil suitable for natives.

• gardenlen
    17 years ago

g'day andrew,

that is a nice happy well established looking grass tree there, so for me i wouldn't take the risk and disturb it plan to work around it, you will be glad you did.

len

Sponsored
More Discussions