SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sparaxis_gw

Dead heading, and some observations..

Sparaxis
18 years ago

Well I have dead headed around 3/4 of the roses that need to be done. Only another 40 or so to go. That excludes the damasks and gallicas. As I go round I get to know each of my knew roses just a little better. Some observations on the newer ones ANGELA - very cute. Not a lot of bloom yet, but it's coming
BETTY BOOP - very sassy, and masses of colour. Neat, sweet little blooms.
CENTENARY OF FEDERATION - could almost be the same rose as BB, with just as much bloom. Nice but one would have done.
PLAYBOY - more orange than the two above, and not so much boop as betty. A bit bold for my taste.
THE KARNIVAL - same style but much more subtle, smaller and very pretty.
LOVE POTION - could easily win my heart over from Angel Face. Similar but a much healthier bush.
HANZA PARK - what a pain! Lovely bloom on long lax canes all laying in the dirt on their faces. The new growth looks stronger. Too much heavy bloom is pulling the canes down. I will have to stake them with light bamboo canes.
APRIKOLA - very pretty - lots of bloom.
BLUEBERRY HILL - I liked it so nice, I bought it twice. Nice big open blooms, and it seems to dead head itself.
GERBER ENGEL - I bought 2 more of these after the first. I think I will rip out the gold bunny from the same bed and put in another. Such a lovely healthy foliage and generous with it's neat, semi double blooms. Rave, rave.
DELBARDS PARIS 200? - OK - not to be raved about as yet, but it has literally hundreds of tiny buds. It might impress me more when they open. Otherwise just a nother small pink rose.
CITROEN FRAISE - also from Delbard, and I love this one. The bright pink buds sometimes open with a completely clear white centre that darkens to pink, then the whole bloom fades. Big clusters, and so neat and pretty.
Both the above have grown into strong, healthy bushes despite the lack of roots and branches on the K-mart bought plants.
CARAMELLA - a cute creamy confection that would do better amongst the DA's. It was an extra but worth buying.
GOLDEN WINGS - I LOVE this one. Lots of big single blooms, and when the petals fall there is a gorgeous rosette of amber stamens - so pretty!
AMBER NECTAR- I bought 6 of these to fill a raised bed - not so amber as I remember at the Garden show but still very pleasing, and very generous. Small green glossy foliage - very healthy.
And my absolute favourite is NOT SEXY REXY but an unknown bright lipstick pink single rosae, with 5 wavy edged petals. Lots of bright bloom and the flowers fall so there is very little deadheading. Another extremely healthy plant. I think it might be PLAYGIRL from what I have seen on the net.
Well - most of those came from Treloars, and I am so happy with them i am trying to think where I could put another large planting of floribundas next winter. I am off to take some photos now and will post soon.
Lots of new DA's here to - let me know if you would like a report on them too :-) Jan

Comments (14)

Sponsored