SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
southofsanity

gardening help for a newbie

southofsanity
12 years ago

Howdy garden lovers!

I... am in desperate need of some help, to put it mildly. also, please forgive any ranting that I may give off.

But first, I should probably give a bit of background. Now, I have never loved gardening, ever. I have a dead, brown, withered thumb instead of a green one. I have KILLED catci and other plants that supposedly thrive on neglect. Gardeners at my local bunnings and plant shops cringe at the thought of me taking home something. Please believe me when I tell you this.

Now, let me tell you the real meat of what I'm trying to say. My wife's family owns a business out in the country and my father-in-law recently passed away. My wife and I have inherited this property and business, and her family loves gardening, whereas I hate it. I have tried to explain this to them, repeatedly, but have eventually given up in the end. I just have to accept the fact that I will be gardening whether I like it or not.

This is the reason for my joining this forum. I'm hoping I can come here and get help from you guys regarding equipment (such as ride-ons, whipper-snippers, and other manner of ill-tempered machines) plants (despite my unintentional attempts to murder more of the planet) and pests (do dogs count?). I hope you all don't mind of course, and will happily educate someone who is a complete idiot, and is a rather lazy gardener.

SO! For my first question... does anyone know of how to use a whippersnipper properly? specifically one that has a "tap down and the thread comes out?" because I'm stuffed trying to figure it out myself, the manual is useless, and I'm about to chuck the %$#@%@# thing in the wheelie bin.

I have about five acres of land to do this around, including the business and the dog yard, and would very much prefer poisoning most of the ground to the point that not even mold will grow on it. But, I'd like your guy's opinions on this.

ANY advice would be good, but please, leave the "you're an idiot, read the manual stupid!" or "Why don't you love gardening? it's so healthy and wonderful!" comments at the door. I'm already healthy enough thank you, and constructive critism is better than no critisim.

South of my equitorial sanity

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz
More Discussions