SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
funnelweb

Lamium galeobdolon 'Herman's Pride'

funnelweb
15 years ago

See attached pic. Is there any Lamium experts out there who can confirm that this is L. G. 'Herman's Pride' or in fact L. 'Florentinum'. I know it is sold in nurseries on the rare occasions it is available as Herman's Pride, but my reference, Botanicas Pocket Annuals and Perennials, seems to suggest it might be in fact L. Florentinum. It describes Herman's Pride as having "narrow leaves, streaked and spotted with silver". Mine seems to be broader in the leaf and not as pronounced with 'streaking' silver. It looks a bit different to the picture in the reference. Any information please.

{{gwi:2114385}}

Comments (13)

• User
    15 years ago

I am no expert and I have never seen it before, so I did a search and I would say yours is Lamium galeobdolon 'Herman's Pride' if you look at the pics of the leaves of Florentinum they are nothing like your one.

Florentinum leaves have the silver colour only on the edges on the leaf and green in the centre..

I noticed also that this one and others go under the name of Lamiastrum galeobdolon 'Florentinum' not Lamium ? as you will see on this link below.. Maybe there has been a name change and some have not caught up with it..

I don't know if its much help. But if you google Images there are plenty on line to compare with.. Which could confuse you all the more with the markings on the leaves and the shapes...

Cheers... Mary-Anne

Here is a link that might be useful: Lamiastrum galeobdolon 'Florentinum'

• funnelweb
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you Mary-Anne, I took a look at the site you mentioned and sure enough, I think that solves it, Florentinum is distinctly different. Mine also (which I forgot to mention) has not flowered in all the years I've had it (about 10) so I couldn't go by flowering, hopefully, one day it might. I garden at Tweed Heads on the border of temperate and sub-tropical so I'm right at the edge of its range, I think. Thank you again and good gardening to you.
    Bill (funnelweb, there's a story begind that name!)

• User
    15 years ago

My Pleasure Bill. I bet its a very interesting story too..

• funnelweb
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, the story is, mistymorn - nice ring to that! I was sifting bush soil one day were I use to live in a suburb of Sydney's Northern Beaches; shovelling soil into a riddle (sifter) and rubbing it through, breaking up the lumps, chucking out the stones with my hand. I'd shovelled a shovel-full into the sifter, brushed the first stage through, lifted my hand and took a moment's break. When I looked back with my hand ready to go again, suddenly I saw...'Oh, my God!' There was this magnificent male Sydney funnel-web spider, reared up on his hind legs, fangs exposed and shining with venom just waiting for that hand. A moment, a loooong moment, to regain my composure, then I walked about 10 metres to the undergrowth and leaf fall and gentle let him escape, and I felt sure he was as glad of that moment as I was. I couldn't kill such a magnificent specimum but I certainly didn't want another encounter with him. So, there you are, I've since adopted his name.
    Thanks again, Mary-anne

• User
    15 years ago

It is a interesting story Bill. So glad to hear that you were not bitten by it, and I like you would not have killed it either after all we are in their back yard, all spiders found in our house get taken outside, many insects and creatures I find in our garden and the only ones that get under my boot are Caterpillars, I can put up with them eating the shrubs and chomping away on my favourite roses but when I find them on the veggies they are history.

And of course Cane Toads don't last long here, but that is our Duty, either do redbacks after doing the dirty deed.

Mistymorn is part of the Kennel Prefix of my beloved departed Rhodesian Ridgeback Misty.

• funnelweb
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes, the damn cane toads, we're just coming into the season for them now. Misty the Rhodesian Ridgeback, what a lovely dog they are. My next door neighbour many years ago (in Sydney) had one that use to come and visit especially when my old father in law came to stay for awhile. Thor, was his name; he was my first meeting with the Ridgeback breed and what a lovely dog he was, loved the kids, loved the old man, had a very placid nature. Umm, what are 'redbacks'? Not redback spiders, are they? Mind you, it is quiet in this page, isn't it?

• User
    15 years ago

Ohhh Yes the spider variety I got bitten by one on the arm once.

I was not very happy... It got its just deserts

• funnelweb
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I guess it went underfoot, aye! I had a few of them (red-backs) that use to hide under the lip of the edge of my swimming pool last summer, a dozen or so, I had to go around and spray, something I don't really like doing but I sure didn't want a nasty, painful bite on my finger tip. How's the weather been Brisbane side, Mary-Anne, did you get any of the last lot of rain up there the last few weeks? The sap is rising in the plants now, spring is in the air, and the scent of flowers, and, heaven forbid, the snakes are about too. I wonder if they eat cane-toads? I doubt it. Roses, I looked at your page, I love roses also, I planted a few more this years, a David Austin or two, to fill out my rose patch a bit more. I guess you have a few, which ones do you like? How do they do in Brisbane?
    Bill
    PS Gee-wis, anything we can do about these blasted advertisments?

• User
    15 years ago

Actually it didn't go underfoot Bill, unbeknown to me Hubby collected it and popped it into a glass jar and screwed the lid on tight it was needed for ID purposes you see, and promptly forgot about it.. Karma I reckon..

Beautiful one day perfect the next Bill, yes we did get some very welcome rain 44mm in our back yard gauge.

I seen a article on line about a Cane Toad swallowing a Keelback snake that is a known predator of the Cane Toad, scary thought if those Cane Toad got to the size of a Python they would be going around swallowing us humans next.

Well that's nice to know that you had a look at my Journal Bill yes there are a few pics on there I try to add our Australia Natives as they flower, but I do put the roses and tropicals on for a bit of fun.. I used to put my flower photo's on the Garden Gallery here also but members went and no one replied to my posts so I stopped doing that too.

I only had one DA Mary Rose then late June I bought and planted another three..Pop over to the Roses Forum here and I will start a new post about them as one of them has buds and they should open in the next week, we may even get some of the old members to join in Tricia tried in July with no luck shame I missed her post..

Don't think we can do a thing about those ads mores the pity..

• funnelweb
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I can't believe it, a python being taken by a cane-toad! Must have been a small one. I'll slip over to Roses, Mary-ann, see you there.

Bill

• funnelweb
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Mary-anne, it's under Mistymorn, and 'The name of the Rose'.

Bill

• User
    15 years ago

Hi again Bill I am sorry I have confused you.
    What I meant was the Cane Toad swallowed a Keelback snake which is a non-venomous, semi-aquatic snake but it is not a Python..

Below is the link to the Rose post I put on yesterday its under My New David Austin Roses..
    And I have already had a answer by a lovely lady named Karima.. See you there Bill..

Here is a link that might be useful: Roses Forum

• User
    15 years ago

I finally found you Post Bill, you put it on the USA Roses Forum instead of the Aussie one.

Click on the link below to the Home Page Of Gardenweb Australia, left side second from the bottom..

See you there Bill... Mary-Anne

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardenweb Australia Forums..

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES
More Discussions