SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
coolowlq

Organic Rose Culture in Brisbane Area

coolowlQ
18 years ago

Good morning rose gardeners :-)))

I live in northern bayside near Redcliffe, southern Queensland. I have 4 Lorraine Lees (David Austen) and a Papa Meilland. The LLs are more prone to aphids and black spot than the PM but it gets its share of black spot too. Prefer totally organic solutions if practical!

Tried interplanting garlic but the garlic sulked. Use sulphate of potash plus (variously) horse, cow, Organic Extra (a brand name for pellets of various things).

The rose garden is in sun virtually all day, is up off the clay, made from hay, manures, vege scraps, potting mix, use mulch.

I'm prepared to live with a few aphids and a bit of mould given the humidity we have hear for 9 months of the year, but the aphids (now, mid June 2005) are just crawling everywhere on all the new leaves. Pruned them back hard about a month ago and the new growth is delightful but for the sap-suckers. No sign of black spot yet, so aphids are my first priority just now.

Just to-day (Saturday 18th June) I broke my own rules and squirted the little buggers with Pyrethrum. I prefer not to use pesticides!

Any suggestions to strengthen the plants to resist aphids and black spot will be very welcome :-)))

Elaine in Deception Bay

Comments (7)

Sponsored