SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
worthatry

Planting behind a retaining wall

worthatry
9 years ago

Hey guys. This is my first post. Hope someone out there has an answer for me. We have downsized to our final home (pre nursing home anyway!) and I have an issue. The long boundary of our property has a retaining wall about 40cm tall made of sleepers leaving me with a bed about 20cms wide. It has aggie pipe then scoria then soil on top of that only about 10cms deep. I have planted it with statice and have had a really lovely display until this season. First powdery mildew attacked all the plants. I managed to save about half but even though there is now no evidence of mildew on remaining plants some are still curling up their toes and dying. I can see no evidence of evil doers. I have replaced maybe 15 plants with new starter pots but now that more plants are carking it I'm wondering whether I should try a different plant. The garden on this side is about 2.5-3mt wide and planted out as a gravel garden. Heavy clay soils so a lot of the garden is container planting. In summer the bed gets maybe 5 hrs full sun a day but at this time of year only a couple of hours at best. What I am after is suggestions for alternate plantings for part sun/part shade position that will be ok with shallow soil.
I have considered a smaller liriope, ajuga and convulvulus. Want something that will go well with remaining, surviving (I hope) statice. Once established I only water in extreme conditions. Sorry for being so long winded. Hope someone can help. Postscript. Money is an issue so I must choose plants I can get in tubes or divide a bigger pot into several plants. At this stage am looking at about a dozen plants. Thanks!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
More Discussions