SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jnimmo_gw

Rose Archway - Novice's design and planting queries

jnimmo
19 years ago

Hi - I am a new but enthusiastic gardener with a handkerchief Townhouse garden in Melbourne. My husband has built me a simple arch (two posts about 2.5m tall and a simple 'gate' structure at the top - about 2m wide). The Arch frames our window, but is about a metre from the wall. The spot gets about 5-6 hours of afternoon sunshine per day Spring to Autumn.

Queries:

1/ When planting an arch of roses do you plant just 1 rose plant on each side, or 2? I am probably going to plant Pierre de Ronsard.

2/ How do you plant a clematis with a rose - in the same hole or side by side?

3/ I read that you can grow a rambler and a more modern climbing rose together for a big show in spring, and then the return flowers of the climbing rose into Autumn. Has anyone tried this or seen it? How would you plant it, and, what rambler might go with Pierre de Ronsard?

4/ Finally, any other suggestions / pointers for the choice of climbing or pillar rose itself? My overall colour scheme is deep purple/pinks with cream accents - and other roses will be David Austin's like Othello and Jude the Obscure, and my sentimental favourite Double Delight.

Long questions, and do appreciate some help as I do not know any experienced rose growers in Melbourne yet.

Warm regards

Judith Nimmo

Comments (4)

Sponsored