SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kevarose

experience and thinking caps needed

kevarose
19 years ago

I am about to create 2 more beds to get rid of some of the lawn here and add more beauty (and roses as well as native and exotic foliage). I have "slaved" over the first draft and would now like to turn it over to some experts for other suggestions. I would like more teas as I think I am going to like these when they get bigger as my current teas are still less than a metre but it is really lack of knowledge on my part. Any roasarian is welcome for a country lunch (and they are good) if they ever wish a day in the country within 2 hours of Sydney CBD. I am so grateful for any and all suggestions.

I have drawn the middle 2 acres of my garden and put it on my website at www.kookaburrahill.com.au/garden.html so you can see where these beds are in relation to the whole. On that plan you might notice I have moved (or will when it is cold enough) the climbers up the gums as Lozza encouraged (except Lamarque who is so happy) and have the crepuscle hedge as Larry suggested near the pool to be planted in winter.

Bed 1 (~40 x 2 m) is to be purple/mauve/pink/cerise/silver/white and will get hours of arvo sun as I am planting a few small deciduous trees north of the roses. It will be WET but drained well as it will be watered once a week by the Biocyle (I move it around) and have a roof rain flood down it periodically - but all the roses seem to love this combination. It faces a new tea bed with pink tea roses (Tillier/ Souv d'un Ami, Safrano) and Fantin Latour and Mrs H Stevens.

{{gwi:2112550}}
I was planning to buy the following roses for Bed 1 (the # numbers refer to the number on the drawing and numbers in parentheses to the number I was planning to buy/move :

BUY: #14. Ferdinand Pichard

(or Yolande d'Aragon), #19. Veilchenblau on seat with overhead, #84. Sally Holmes (buy 3) ?? plus add Mrs Cant

MOVE: # 13. Mme Isaac Pereire (x2), #15. Gertrude Jekyll, #16. Reine des violettes (x3), #17. Blue Moon - BUY 2 MORE, #18. Blueberry Hill, #20. Baron Giraud de L'ain, #3. Lamarque, #22. Heritage, #23. was going to be Sombreuil but it died on me in last heatwave in a hot place of the garden so ???

{{gwi:2112551}}

Bed 2 (~ 15 x 8 m) is a triangular bed in plum/yellow/pink/cream with some big autumn foliage trees to the west and a small orchard to the south - it will get enough sun also. It has a hill draining down to it but also on a slope so drains well.

BUY: # 25. Mutabilis (x3) # 28. Lady Hillingdon shrub (x2)

MOVE EXISTING: # 26. Othello (x2) # 27. Charles de Mills (x2) # 29. Diamond Jubilee # 30. Mikado

To the west of it is # 31 a Renae hedge as advised by Lozza which is growing very well with chicken poo

What do you think? Everything does not have to flower all the time as I like the changes and green is nice too without flowers but perfume and beauty are what I am looking for and maybe a flowering period that...

Comments (14)

Sponsored