SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
patois_gw

Community Garden Shuts Out Members

14 years ago

I am beyond frustrated, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Warning: This saga is rather lengthy and I am glad to have somewhere to vent.

I am new to our community (East Harlem) and started out by joining the local community garden. It was HEAVAN! My infant in the stroller, my toddler playing with trucks in the dirt and me pulling weeds, picking up trash, just keeping busy outdoors.

We moved from a house in the suburbs and I was more than happy to donate all of our old gardening supplies...mower, weed trimmer, tools, kids toys, furniture. I even bought new kids picnic benches. They were thrilled. I helped at their fleamarket, I painted a sign for it. I was the only one to contribute to the BBQ party (so they told me).

All was going well until...

The founders grown son began complaining about his aunt, another founder not letting him attend meetings and not letting him have any input. I listened and said, "Let's try to work together and try to make some changes to improve this place!"

The next time I visited the garden there was some animosity, they didn't talk to me very kindly, it was strange. I really thought nothing of it, besides someone having a bad day. The next time I went to the garden the locks were changed!

I contacted the founders, they told me,

"My son says you want to take over the garden and kick us out."

I told them that it couldn't be further from the truth,

"I think he misunderstood what I said!"

"Are you calling my son a liar?"

WHAT?

I am needless to say heartbroken about this situation. I am contacting the community garden organizers, the city, the parks department to see if I can get back into the garden.

The founders told me that I can go in when they are there, if kids want to have a place to play in go to the playground. They told me that I shouldn't start any static with them, because there have been things missing from the garden and they should be the only ones to have keys to the space. I told them that I put things in I don't take things out! They won't budge.

They act like this is their private space and hire it out for private parties and keep the money and hire someone to mow the lawn. I would mow the lawn for free!

I have talked to other people in the neighborhood who say the same thing happened to people they know. The garden founders act like they want new members but only to prove to the community garden organizers that they are accepting new members and as soon as the new members show some initiative or suggest ideas, they are shut out, and the locks are changed.

My husband asks why do I want to continue to be involved in a place like that? I think that someone needs to stand up to these people. The city created these spaces for everyone who is interested in gardening. They don't own the space...it is a community garden for the COMMUNITY!

Besides, they would not want to go and open the space for me during the early hours that I am available and they...

Comments (3)