SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosalie_gw

Monarch Butterfly Babies... desperately need help

Rosalie
18 years ago

Has anyone any suggestions about how I can save my caterpillar babies. Last year, we had a few Monarchs visit our new garden while the buddliea were flowering, and laid some eggs on a carefully nutured milkweed plant. In due course, we eventually had about 8 big fat stripey caterpillars go and pupate. This spring and summer we have been blessed with an abundance of the big butterflies dancing around the flowering buddliea, and we had high hopes for lots of caterpillar babies on the big milkweed. Lots of eggs were laid, the kids and I spent ages out there watching the butterflies going about their business... And the babies have hatched now... And as fast as they are hatching, there is a whole bunch of bugs attacking them, sucking out the vitals and killing them... a very very few little caterpillars have managed to avoid this depredation. The bugs attacking them are a type of brown shield bug, and a skinnier shiny black and bright red orange one; that both just grab the little pillarcats and stab them and suck the sap out...

Is it possible does anyone know, to retrieve the leaves with the eggs on, and hatch and rear them indoors like one does with silk worms? The kids are starting to get a bit upset that their butterfly babies are all getting eaten by the time they are 1/2 inch long. Todays inspection only revealed 2 pillarcats that had managed to get to around the 1/2 inch mark....

Comments (5)

Sponsored
More Discussions