SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oldnod

Acalapha.

oldnod
10 years ago

Help folks, just wondering if anybody has had this problem.

We have had a row of Acalapha planted some 19 years ago for the colour, mainly the broad leaf maroons, greens / cream and a few Curley leaf. Pruned every year to encourage a nice show.

They became quite woody as you would expect, some of this died off and I encouraged the new growth. A few years back they slowly went down hill and I removed them. Propergated some fresh shoots to retain the favourites.

My question is to they have a life expectancy or was it something I may have done. We have had some very wet seasons and some dry in that period but they have been looked after well I believe.

Nod

Comments (3)

• alisonoz_gw
    10 years ago

I'm sorry I'm just going to correct the spelling first, it's
    Acalypha with a "y" - and that might help you with any research you do.
    Can't turn up anything on life expectancy - I think you've probably done pretty well given (as you say) both drought and flood conditions in SEQ over those years.
    Perhaps the root ball just grows woody as well over time and possibly with those climate extremes lays it open to invasion by anything from termites to borers. Maybe the soil suffered with those conditions and formed too difficult a barrier for new root growth.
    I'm glad you took cuttings, they are such attractive plants and often regarded as "pass along" as you don;t see so much varieties of the old large leafed ones.
    Perhaps renew the soil a bit and try to get rid of any old bits of root boles before starting over with your borders

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

I have a lot of Acalyphas which grow as a dense thicket. They were well established when I bought the place and I've had it for just over 10 years. Each year I prune them back savagely to short sticks. The prunings I chop up and use as mulch around the plants. The mulch is very deep. They're doing quite well but I've often wondered the same, whether they have a "use by date". They've never had any fertiliser, so perhaps I should start doing that.

• oldnod
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I would consider it Tropic, the soil we are on is lacking all nutrients and that could have been one of my problems.

I have been leaning towards the idea of less fertiliser means less pruning and trips to the dump. Changing my mind now and aimng for healthy plants for a little outlay.

Nod

Sponsored
More Discussions