SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brooklyn_gardener_gw

Ceanothus to grow in Brooklyn?

13 years ago

I have fallen in love with a group of stunning large bushes called Ceanothus. They come in many different sizes, even 6" high, but most grow from 6 ft to 20 ft. What is extraordinary about them is that the whole bush gets completely covered with brilliant blue flowers of various shades during the long blooming seasons. These gorgeous bright blue or cobalt bushes (also trainable as trees) are native to California and Oregon, but many of the new hybrids can grow in zones 6 and 7 and even lower. One white and pink colored group is native to New Jersey, but I want to grow the blue ones. There is also light blue French hybrid that grows in zone 7 and all over France and England. Has anyone tried them in New York City? I am also wondering which ones are best to grow. Most of them don't like rich soil and they prefer little watering, but some of the new hybrids can grow in regular gardens with sandy soil. I am even thinking of tearing out one of the cement sidewalk blocks in front of my house and growing them next to my ginko street tree (which I do water daily in the summer). I would love to hear from anyone who has tried them here.

Comment (1)