SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lauriejay_gw

Low maintenance garden-- weeds under the veranda

lauriejay
18 years ago

IÂm hoping to get suggestions for how to manage a bit of a garden in hot Northern Victoria, under the following conditions:

1. IÂm disabled and canÂt bend, kneel or stand.

2. IÂm a pensioner, therefore no money to splash around.

3. I have a husband who has no interest in gardening or domestic scenery but heÂs willing to do the yakka, providing it isnÂt too hard and that car racing, football, The Simpsons, yachting, blah, blah, blah, arenÂt on the television!

4. We take off in our caravan for many months each year.

5. We have no water restrictions and are presently hooked up to a timer and 3 movable spray heads. (Not my choice and I donÂt know how to operate the jerry built system.) This runs off channel water, which encourages weeds to grow like crazy.

6. This isnÂt our house. ItÂs part of sonÂs dairy farm and we donÂt want to do any reconstruction work in the yard. I can get lots of straw and manure though!

I really miss the garden in the house we sold to fund our caravanning. In addition to masses of trees and shrubs, I had annuals planted in 36 truck tyres stacked 3 high, which made a level I could reach easily. Sadly, thereÂs not much point planting annuals now, because IÂm generally not here to see them bloom. This gives the hint that I like flowers, lots of color and perfume.

EAST Under some shade mesh on four posts, I have pots containing a rhododendron, camellia, pelargonium, a couple of ferns, two young Powton trees and a Crepe Myrtle( both cuttings from the old house), aloe vera, bulbs of daffodils, jonquils, star flowers, snowdrops and hyacinths (all from the old house) and various cuttings of things I nick on my travels. ThereÂs also a big pile of interesting rocks, left by the last tenants.

These pots have survived our travels (courtesy of the automatic timer) but the weeds overtake the pots and the ground around them. IÂd like to make a feature of this small area of pots because itÂs in a place I can easily see from the house. Fish fern and variegated ivy are beginning to cover some of the ground and IÂm reluctant to get rid of them but donÂt want them to take over too much. (The Powtons and Crepe Myrtle will have to go into the ground ASAP.)

The rest of the square house has narrow garden beds along the sides, with not a lot growing in them.

NORTH This bed is what people see as soon as they drive in and it looks terrible. I have a soaking type hose which might be good for here??? IÂd like some tallish plants, about 1 metre high, at the back of the bed. (If theyÂre bushy, they could occupy the whole bed.) Suggestions please?? ItÂs in the blazing sun all day, so I donÂt suppose I could have hydrangeas?? What can I put at the front of the bed if the back plants are tall and thin?

WEST The bed on one side of the door is very protected and shaded and can be watered easily. An ugly old cypress provides much of the shade. It isnÂt huge and son doesnÂt want it cut down so...

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!
More Discussions