SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bradleyqt

Best gardens of New Zealand..and other tourist advice!

BradleyQT
19 years ago

Hey all!

Sorry, I know this is a bit off-topic, but if GW folks in New Zealand don't know the best gardens to visit...who will? = )

I'm going to be in New Zealand for the New Year for a friend's wedding in Christchurch.

I'll have about 10 days in NZ to explore and as I'm a poor college student, I think I'll spend most of my time backpacking/camping/hosteling.

Help me fill my days with great experiences. What free gardens are glorious and what private gardens are so extraordinary they are worth paying a bit to visit?

I have heard that the south end of the island is beautiful. Is there an affordable way to get there without spending all of my 10 days on a bus? Or can I explore the natural world around Christchurch?

I would like to add to my herbarium down there, especially unique NZ plants. I obviously don't want to take the rare or endangered, just the unique. Is this allowed?

Are there public lands equivalent to the US National Forest? The National Forests are public lands where people can legally collect a pinecone or a stone that interests them. (In the US, you can not remove anything from a the National Park.) Even public roadside ditches in the US yield interesting finds...will I be able to find land like this in NZ?

Will I be able to take my herbarium back through customs?

I would also like some time on the beach while I'm there (as I live in land-locked Colorado here in the US). Are there any great places that are off the beaten path? I'm really trying to avoid the expensive tourist traps, but I still need to be able to either camp or stay in a hostel.

Thank you so much in advance for any advice you can give me!

Sincerely,

~becca

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus