SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vetivert8

winter?

vetivert8
15 years ago

The snow is low on the hill. I'm pep-talking myself into going outside to 'spread the ghosts' (aka frost cloths). The wind feels that it came straight up from Scott Base.

What's out? The early paperwhite Narcissus; snowdrops (natch!); the first dwarf purple bearded Iris - and Iris Sindpers. My favourite double 'earlicheer'-type Narcissus with the tiny scrambled egg trumpet arrangement. The wintersweet - wafting all across the garden on the slightest smidgeon of warm air.

Cowslips, and the polyanthus - well ahead of the primroses. Auriculas, looking not too happy with the damp yet flowering anyway.

Mad Parachetus. It must know it's frost-tender! Blue pea flowers wandering everywhere.

The Epimediums are Plotting. I can see little coppery leaves low to the ground. And I'm loving the 'orange' Ranunculus - not the big turbans. The little run-riot ones with heart-shaped dappled leaves.

Rose pruning has started. A full-on session with - 'Si', which lives in a bonsai mame pot. A one minute session with the grape snips. But I'll get onto the real thing soon. When this wuss 9a gardener gets acclimated to 2C temperatures without rushing inside to the loo or the teapot!

Happy pruning season, everyone!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH