SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trudi_d

Organic Weed Control Methods ~ Corn Gluten Meal

trudi_d
11 years ago

{{gwi:2110434}}

"What is Corn Gluten Meal?"

Corn gluten meal is a yellowy powder created as a by-product during a milling process of corn. It is primarily used in farm animal feeds, dog food, and fish food. It contains 60% protein and 10% nitrogen. It is also used as a "pre-emergent" weed control for lawns. The nitrogen in the Corn Gluten Meal provides a small amount of fertilizer helping to "green-up" the lawn.

"What is a "pre-emergent?"

A pre-emergent is an herbicide used before emergence of seedlings above the ground.

"Is Corn Gluten Meal the same as the cornmeal I make muffins with?"

It's a very different product, cornmeal for baking is a specific product made by grinding dried corn kernels.

"How does Corn Gluten Meal control weeds?"

Corn Gluten Meal prevents roots from forming during seed germination. If a root can't grow a seedling will not be able to obtain water or nourishment from the soil, it will dry up and die. Corn Gluten Meal must be applied to the soil before weeds germinate in order to be effective. It has no effect upon weeds that have already sprouted and formed a root system.

"What are some weeds that Corn Gluten Meal will help control?"

Corn Gluten Meal is effective as a pre-emergent in controlling crabgrass, curly dock, dandelions, lamb's quarters, and pigweed.

"How should I apply Corn Gluten Meal to my lawn?"

It can be used in a spreader and applied at a recommended rate of 20 lbs per 1,000 square feet. Prior to applying please read the application information on the product packaging.

"When should I apply Corn Gluten Meal to my lawn?"

Spread Corn Gluten Meal on your lawn about four to six weeks before weeds sprout....that's generally during very early Spring. However, not all weeds sprout in Spring and you may wish to reapply Corn Gluten Meal to your lawn a few times during the growing season to prevent late sprouting weeds from emerging, also, the nitrogen in the meal will help keep your lawn green and growing well.

Comment

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH
More Discussions