SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joems89

Interested in buying instead of renting

joems89
11 years ago

Hi all, I am a 23 year old full time worker, part time student. I have been throwing money down the hole renting properties since I was 18. I currently rent a house that costs $500/ month for the property alone and I am not very satisfied with it, nor do I like thinking about never seeing any return on all the money I pay for it. It's got my gears turning. There is a small home in my area for $16,500. It is a nice looking little cottage with a yard and is in a good location. Obviously, for this price it will need some work, but it is liveable and structurally sound. I haven't always had the money to take note of the under $20k fixer uppers I often see, but now things have changed. I have a higher paying job, no car note, and no children. I wonder if I would be better off investing in such a property rather than renting? If I paid around $4k down, I could pay what I pay now for rent and own it in just over 2 years (which is about how long I intend to live in the area) if I could find appropriate financing (e.g., a bank that wouldn't charge me an early payoff penalty). I am an experienced carpenter and I work as a maintenance/ mechanic at the local hospital. I know how to do flooring and plumbing operations as well, so I'd be saving a lot of money on renovations. Is it a wild eyed thought then for me to consider buying up such a property, living in it while also working it back into good condition, and then selling it after paying it off? I believe it would be worth a good deal more fixed up. I am weary of the home buying waters, but also anxious to get away from renting. I love the idea of being able to get my money back (and possibly make a profit) in the future. I am also willing to stick to renting if such a plan as this proves to be too risky. Just want to hear some experienced opinions. Thanks.

Comments (21)