SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fasola_shapenote

bio-film and corrosion concerns: copper vs. pex vs. cpvc

fasola-shapenote
14 years ago

Hi all, I'm gutting and rebuilding an old "fixer-upper" in east-central North Carolina, and part of this will include re-plumbing the entire house.

I'm not sure whether to go with copper, PEX, or CPVC.

This house has well water. I haven't had it tested yet, but judging by the maps produced by the state, I expect it to be a little hard (but not too much) and fairly acidic.

I've lived in homes with both copper and PEX before, and haven't had any problems with either, but that was on treated municipal water. My big concern here is the so-called "biofilm" - that sticky bacteria-laden goo that forms on the inside of pipes. I will have a whole-house 5-micron water filtration system, and a UV-light water sanitizer, but I'm still concerned about bio-film - there are a lot of farms in this area that use manure fertilizer, need I say more!

According to the latest study, copper pipe tends to have the most bio-film accumulation, with PEX as a close second. CPVC has the lowest.

So I was leaning towards CPVC - especially since copper is so freaking expensive - but I've read that CPVC is very brittle and cracks and leaks and everything.

So then I was leaning towards PEX, but apparently the fittings are very expensive, the piping is susceptible to rodents chewing through it, and the fittings cause such a large water-flow restriction that you have to have a manifold and run separate lines to each fixture, which takes up a lot of space and is labor-intensive and parts-intensive and thus very expensive.

So then I was leaning towards copper, but there's the bio-film thing, and the expense, and the potential for pinhole leaks over time especially given the acidic water.

Seems like there's nothing really good out there?

Comment (1)