SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cynic_gw

Couple things I haven't seen before

cynic
12 years ago

First is a different street light. The norm around here for left turns, there's a green arrow giving you right of way, and if it's a green light, then you yield to oncoming traffic. Pretty simple. There's even a sign "Left turn on green must yield" for those who never took a driver test.

Now I see one, and I've only seen one, where there's a flashing amber arrow for the ROW on a left turn. What doesn't make sense to me is that usually flashing traffic signals mean they're out of order. I hope this is the last one unless they do a statewide conversion all at once. I think the one that came up with this idea must be related to the brainiac that put the horn button on the turn signal or when you squeeze the steering wheel.

The other thing made me really shake my head. Seeing analog clocks in places these days is getting more rare but still there's some. And it used to be rather common to see the second row of numbers for "24 hour" time, so under one would be 13, 2 - 14, etc since police, fire and I assume most medical people used 24 hr time, or at least used to. I noticed the hospital had one that had the second row of numbers. But they indicated the minute increments! Yes, 5, 10, 15, etc. Really, we haven't taught people how to tell how many minutes after the hour it is on an analog clock? This one totally appalled me. I will never again vote for a school bond referendum. Go back to teaching the basics. Knowing how to read, write and tell time without a "smart" phone telling you digitally seems to be far more important than band trips, sports and other babysitting services. And really, shouldn't parents consider teaching their kids to tell time anyway?

A clock used to be a teaching tool. You can even use one to tell direction if you don't have a compass. I guess people these days don't have a concept of time anymore. "I'll get there when I get there - leave me alone, I'm on the phone."

Past generations worried about rock-n-roll, long hair and the like being destructive to kids. But at least they could tell time, count, add, subtract and do their basic timeses and guzintas. Priorities seem slightly shifted to me.

Now there was a pleasant incident, distantly related, happen the other day. I was at the store and was looking at an endcap when a lady and her very young daughter came up to the next endcap over. She picked up a couple things and the young lady, who couldn't have been more than 4 or 5 was very interested in everything around. Mom asked her "what color is that?" "Brown", What color is that one?" "Tan" How many tan ones are there?" "Three!" She left before I could tell her how impressed I was and opening her daughter's mind and giving her a jump start to life. And there's an added benefit. Not once did she say "I WANT THIS!!!" "Coincidence"? I think not.

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!