SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tami_ohio

San Fransico Seals..The Reason I Didn't Send You To See The Seals

tami_ohio
14 years ago

I got this in an email from DH's cousin who's son lives in the SF area. I hope the seals don't know something we humans should/or wish we knew/know, and that there isn't an earthquake coming. I'll pray that all my CA friends and family will be safe, that's for sure! Animals sure do seem to know these things before we do.

Subject: The reason I didn't send you to see the seals

From today's Chronicle:

"What's happened to the sea lions at Pier 39? The tourist-attracting seals, an institution on the docks for more than 20 years, have virtually vanished. As darkness fell Monday night, members of Sausalito's Marine Mammal Center counted only four seals.

"The day after Thanksgiving they began to leave," said Jeff Boehm, executive director of the center.

The stubborn "seal-lebrities" have resisted efforts to move them since they began arriving just after the Loma Prieta earthquake in 1989. This fall, record numbers were stacked two and three deep on the docks.

"On Oct. 23rd we had a high count of 1,701. And then right after that they started this mass exodus," Boehm said.

Boehm says no one expected the seals to leave their cushy habitat in the middle of the city. They'd become such an institution that the Marine Mammal Center installed an information kiosk and gift shop at the pier."

Tami

Comments (5)