SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lazypup

Swartze Peter is Kommen (Christmas tradition is western Germany)

lazypup
12 years ago

While serving in the Air Force I was stationed in W.Germany near the Luxembourg border and I lived off base in the local town. I found the german ppl to be very happy ppl that never miss an opportunity to turn out for a tradition or festival, but the one tradition that I found most interesting was at Christmas time.

Unbeknown to the childred, about 6 weeks before Christmas the parents of all the children in town stop by the city hall, pay a small fee of about $5 per child in their household, and list whether that child has been good or bad.

A few days before Christmas you neighborhood is then awaked by the sound of a "Town Crier" leading a small parade of ppl and ringing a loud bell. As they stop in front of each residence the Town Crier opens the book and calls out the name of all the children residing at that address, and they come out to meet the parade. (Now keep in mind that this activity attracts everyone in the neighborhood, and most ppl are standing around the front door watching the action.)

As the children from the house are called by name, the towwn crier then reads from the book to tell everyone if that child has been good or bad.

If the child is listed as being good Kris Kringle (The German equivalent of Santa Clause, although he is dressed in a white outfit that is trimmed with gold fur) Steps forward and one of his elves opens a huge bag, from which Kris Kringle extracts a present and gives it to the child:

BUT. and here is the kicker.. If the book says that child has been bad "Swartze Peter" (Tanslated Black Peter) dressed as a Chimney sweep, steps forward and followed by his helper, also dressed as a chimney sweep helper. The chimeny sweep helper is carrying a huge bundle of wooden switches. The helper then hands a switch to Swartze Peter and right there in the middle of the street in front of God and everybody, he gives the bad child a licking with the switch.....

Believe me, In Germany, year around, if you see children misbehaving in public you can simple say.."Swartze Peter ist Kommen" and they will straighten up their act immediately....LOL

Comments (7)

• pam_25f
    12 years ago

Very interesting. Do parents really list their children as bad?

• Kathsgrdn
    12 years ago

Wow, I didn't know that. I lived in Germany for four years, in a tiny town. Maybe that's why. The only business in town was a little restaurant and a coffin maker.

• workoutlady
    12 years ago

Wow, I had an exchange student from Germany and she never told me that. She did say that Santa Clause came at a different day, December 6 I think. I don't really believe they do that today but they may have in the past.

• petra_gw
    12 years ago

I think it depends on what region of Germany you live in. In my area, we had "Knecht Ruprecht" who would put coal in your stocking if you were bad. But there was no registry of good or bad children.
    And yes, December 6th is St. Nikolaus day where boots are filled with nuts and chocolate and oranges and other goodies. :o)

• OklaMoni
    12 years ago

Hmmmm, must be very regional.. as I NEVER heard of this before. Mind you, I grew up in Germany... left there at age 18.

Moni

• iowagirl2006
    12 years ago

I have heard of Black Peter - he will beat you with a switch if you are naughty!

So watch out!

• jel48
    12 years ago

I've heard ob Swartze Peter, but not the whole story.

Petra, your comment about "Knecht Ruprecht" made me chuckle, because my daughter's married name is Ruprecht!